Hang on stand problems. Can anyone help???

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Jslotter

Hang on stand problems. Can anyone help???

Postby Jslotter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:24 am

This year will be the first time I will be using a hang-on tree stand and I was practicing today and felt like an idiot. I strapped in my climbing sticks first to about 15 feet. Thats the height I prefer. I had my lineman's belt on and all. I got my last stick strapped in and towed the stand up with a rope. I fought with it to get it to mount to the tree as I was trying to reach around to grab the strap and connect to secure it to the tree at the same time. it was the last thing to do really, other than set up my safety harness and pull up my gear. It took me forever to do this and I used up alot of energy. My question is, is there any better and faster way to attach a hang-on stand?
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

gunther89

RE: Hang on stand problems. Can anyone help???

Postby gunther89 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:29 am

I found that the first time took me over half an hour to do but now I can do them in 10 minutes.  Practice is everything and once you do it a couple of times it should come easier. 
Scott

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:26 am

As gunther said, your first time is generally a nightmare.  I know that was the case for me.  In fact, I think I quit trying the first day.  I would advise anyone to practice setting up their hang on stands in the backyard before every attempting it in the woods.  And practice doing it at ground level until you feel comfortable.  Being 15 feet in the air just adds to the difficulty.  There is one tip that I can offer that made a big difference for me.  Take a thin piece of rope, about 8 inches long, fold up the stand, and tie the platform to the seat.  I found that it was much easier to hold the stand to the tree while wrapping the chain around when the stand is folded up.  Once you get the chain hooked on the other side of the mounting bracket, untie the platform, and lower it.  This will tighten the stand to the tree a bit and should prevent it from slipping.  (I should also mention that when I am wrapping the chain around the tree, I do not just go around the tree parallel to the ground.  I angle it up the tree.  This helps the chain grab on.  I tried to draw a picture of what I mean)  With the platform down, I make sure the stand has 4 points of contact with the tree ( 2 are made by the bracket below the seat, and the other 2 by the feet on the platform)  If these 4 points of contact are made, I pound on the seat with my forearm to tighten everything up.  Double check the stand to make sure everything looks ok and climb aboard while still wearing your safety system.  Hope this helped and was not a bunch of gibberish!  Its just as difficult to explain in words as it is to hang one!  Good Luck! 

My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:34 pm

safest way is extension ladder for me
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:44 am

one thing you can do wich has worked for me is take an extra strap with you and a pulley... cost like 2.00 at the hardware store.... after you attach your climbing sticks.. strap the pulley to the tree above the height you want your stand... run a rope through the pully and then attach it to the stand.... hoist your stand up to approximate height, and then tie off the rope to hold the stand in place(can be doen from the ground or while in the tree... i prefer from the ground) now you can easily maneuver the stand to the position you want , and the rope and pulley are taking the weight... good luck!
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:55 am

thank you guys. This is the best advice.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

tmwilloughby

Postby tmwilloughby » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:05 am

JSlotter, I use a variety of stand types, including hang-ons. Here's a trick that may be helpful. I have a climbing stand that I love, but prefer a hang-on for areas taht require a long hike to get to. I use my climber to get up the tree, pull the hang-on up with a rope and hang it while I'm in my climber. I then use the climber to decend the tree and put the climbing sticks on the tree last. You can't always use a climber, and it's one more thing to carry in when you're setting up your stand, but in the right circumstances, it sure makes it easier.

Good luck,

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:17 am

They make a pulley/hoist system similar to what Blueeyedragon mentioned that makes it easier to hoist up a hang-on stand and strap it to a tree,it can be very difficult when your by yourself hanging a stand and trying not to fall from the tree your setting up in.When I get my hang-on stand hung up and strapped to the tree I use 1 or 2 extra ratchet straps to secure it to the tree for extra support and safety and I use my safety harness...some of those hang-on stands seats aren't very big at all and I'm thinking about getting one that has a bigger platform and it has the bigger seat with the arm rest for a more comfortable all-day sitting/hunting session?

charlie

Postby charlie » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:37 am

practice at the base of the tree first. I always put my steps or stick on the back side of the tree. it seems to be easier to mount
the stand from behind.

pwbsmokey

Re: Hang on stand problems. Can anyone help???

Postby pwbsmokey » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:36 am

I have a Lone Wolf hang on stand, but this should work with other stands. I use a strap-on tree step above the point where I want the stand to be. I then hoist the stand up with a rope and hang it off of the step by the seat. (the seat is in the folded up position) Then I can attach the stand to the tree. My climbing sticks are to the side of the stand. I leave the strap-on step on the tree above the stand and to the back side of the tree. I use it as a hand hold when stepping from the climbing sticks to the platform. Once I'm in the stand I use the step as a hook to hang my pack.

Next

Return to Best Practices