Does anyone use Google Earth?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
dewey

RE: Does anyone use Google Earth?

Postby dewey » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:10 am

Hey guys/gals, I just saw this thread and thought I could help with the terrain feature and other tools I have come across.

1. Zoom into the area that you want to view (This is of some mountains in Yellowstone NP)
2. Hold down the middle roller on your mouse and while holding this down move the mouse your your mouse pad and that will tilt the horizon and show the terrain.
3. In the mountains and other areas of signifcant topographical changes you do not need to adjust the terrain scale but for people that don't live in the mountains I would sugges clicking 'Tools' ---> 'Options' --->and go under 3D view tab and towards the bottom is a 'Elevation Exaggeration' scale that you can adjust, try playing with this and this should help. 

I have used GE to go elk hunting in MT last fall and it allows you to get a sense of where you are going before you even go out there.

Hope this helps.

Dewey

�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:37 pm

I've used Google Earth for scouting, can't credit any success to it but its a great tool to find the lay of the land before you walk it.  I will have to check on Bing Maps... never tried them before.

For Michigan folks (particulatly public land hunters) The Michigan DNRE launch a new web based mapping.  When done it will show you vegetaion, forest types, non-forest types, and an overlay of public land boundaries.   The aerials aren't as good as Google Maps or Earth but its really nice to see the up to date boundaries before you go; compared to flipping between a Public land map and an aerial or topo. Just another tool in the arsenal.  Check it out here: http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/mi-hunt

Thanks for the heads up on Bing Maps, I will have to see what it can add to my pre-trip scouting.

Also an idea... our county, and surrounding counties, went in together to have new aerials taken.  The reason was for government (GIS/LIS, etc) but you can buy the aerials from them if you want the most up to date available.  Wouldn't hurt to check with your counties GIS or LIS office. 

Happy Hunting!!!
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:28 am

I have a question about Bing Maps...
How do you save a pic of a property??? I keep trying to right click so I can copy and paste it, but it doesn't work.. Does anyone know how to save? I want to get a pic of where i'll be hunting in October but I can't figure it out.. I've played around with it for a couple hours and still can't get it... Help would REAlLy be appreciated!! thanks

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:40 am

ORIGINAL: DeerAddict

How do you save a pic of a property??? I keep trying to right click so I can copy and paste it, but it doesn't work.. Does anyone know how to save? I want to get a pic of where i'll be hunting in October but I can't figure it out.. I've played around with it for a couple hours and still can't get it... Help would REAlLy be appreciated!! thanks

[font="Arial"]I use the Snipping Tool on my computer, saving the map as a JPeg file. I'm not sure whether all computers have this; or just Dell computers.[/font]
IF YOU'RE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:22 pm

ORIGINAL: DeerAddict

[font="Arial"]Have you found your Snipping Tool yet? I think all Windows Vista & "7" have it.

Click the Start button on your computer.
Click All Programs
Click on Accessories & you should see it on the drop down list.

NOTE: You can launch it from there, but if you right click on it you can add it to your Quick Launch for quicker access in the future. It's really great cause you can capture ANY IMAGE because it is copying the Image on your monitor, not from the original source which sometimes is Copy Right protected, plus, you can make notations on your image before you save it.
[/font]

NRA LIFE MEMBER

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 am

No wolfman, I havent found it....Is it just called snipping tool? or somethin else?? My computer is pretty new, we just got it around last year sometime so youd think mine would have it... not sure...

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:23 pm

I have a SNIPPING TOOL on my Dell too. If you can't find it using Wolfman's method, click START & then enter Snipping Tool in your START SEARCH BOX. If you don't find it that way, I guess you don't have it.

Maybe some of the other members can say where their Snipping Tool is located.
[8|]
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

RubyCreekHunter

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 am

DeerAddict...do you have a "PRINT SCRN" key on your keyboard? if so, click it and then "PASTE" into, say, Microsoft "Paint"(START>ACCESSORIES>PAINT).

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:03 am

ORIGINAL: RubyCreekHunter

DeerAddict...do you have a "PRINT SCRN" key on your keyboard? if so, click it and then "PASTE" into, say, Microsoft "Paint"(START>ACCESSORIES>PAINT).

You might have to do Fn print scrn or alt Fn print scr or Cntrl Fn Print screen

then paste to paint. Just depends on your machine and keyboard
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:12 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

You might have to do Fn print scrn or alt Fn print scr or Cntrl Fn Print screen

then paste to paint. Just depends on your machine and keyboard

[font="Courier New"]What does "Fn" mean?[/font]

NRA LIFE MEMBER

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices