EHD Outbreak?

bobow

EHD Outbreak?

Postby bobow » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:40 pm

This doesn't sound good.  An outbreak in the south suburbs of King Richard Land.

I worry about the spread from there.  Anyone else seen any signs of this or heard anything? 

I sure hope not.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Gulfcapt

RE: EHD Outbreak?

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:41 pm

This EHD disease! would this be from a fly called midge fly? They had a outbreak of this in southern Indiana in the area were I hunt 4 years ago. Killed off hundreds of deer... Same way found them by water,in the water..

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:42 pm

News to me.  The 'burbs have bigger problems with deer as there are not enough car hits to control the deer and hunting is near non-existent.  As usual, I hope they keep their problems up there.  Deer and everything else...

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Info I found  Wikipedia links here....

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:45 pm

We had it in Northern KY a couple of years ago.  You need drought conditions.  The midges die if they get hit by rain.  The drought brings the deer to shrinking watering holes.  The midges bite and transmit the EHD. EHD is kind of like deer influenza.  The EHD causes a fever that causes the deer to seek out water.  They go to the watering holes.  The midges are there.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.    If there's no drought, there probably won't be much in the way of EHD.  The slightest bit of rain drowns the midges, and the cycle breaks down.

When we had it, my end of the county did not have any mortality.  However, 5 miles away there was a nasty smell rising from a section of road that spoke of a massive die-off close by.  I gather this can be a very hit-and-miss sort of thing. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:42 pm

ORIGINAL: shaman

We had it in Northern KY a couple of years ago.  You need drought conditions.  The midges die if they get hit by rain.  The drought brings the deer to shrinking watering holes.  The midges bite and transmit the EHD. EHD is kind of like deer influenza.  The EHD causes a fever that causes the deer to seek out water.  They go to the watering holes.  The midges are there.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.    If there's no drought, there probably won't be much in the way of EHD.  The slightest bit of rain drowns the midges, and the cycle breaks down.

When we had it, my end of the county did not have any mortality.  However, 5 miles away there was a nasty smell rising from a section of road that spoke of a massive die-off close by.  I gather this can be a very hit-and-miss sort of thing. 

If what you say is true sham, then it sure as hell can't be EHD, because we've had SOOO much rain up here that I'm beginning to grow moss on my north side and even my mustache has mildew in it. No, it probably has something to do with the CLOUDS of mosquitoes that have infested us. I've lived here now for 33 years, and I've only seen it this bad once or twice before.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:29 pm

I don't know where King Richard Land is, but they had an outbreak of it in Crete,Ill. I heard it was quite devastating. I read where from time to time since 1955, when it first became aware of, that quite a few different states have had some out breaks. They claim a frost will end it. I think our warmer winters have something to do with it. I can remember years ago sometimes getting snow in the end of Oct.. For sure in Nov., and positively by Thanksgiving. Seems like now, we are lucky to have snow for Christmas.

Has anyone heard anything of that brain disease that was going around a few years back. I remember reading an article about it happening somewhere in Wisc. We had a mild case of it here in Ill.. I have pics of the scull of a buck that had it. There was maybe 6 or 8 small holes (big enough to put a small nail through), where something ate from the brain cavity out. The deer was found wandering around, and eventually went into a lake and drowned itself. It seems to be only in bucks and mostly older ones. I thought when a buck shed his antlers it is an open wound (so to say) and an available parasite can accsess the brain. Again, due to global warming? I wonder.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:01 am

WOW..... who would of guessed it they think they might have a vaccine for CWD so now we have some kind of bitting pecker fly to wipe out the deer herd, Good luck flies the DNR beat you to them [:@] Like WOODS said we have had enough rain to drown a duck and I'm sure with more to come as we get closer to OCT.

Return to Illinois