P90X

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
MikeinMO

P90X

Postby MikeinMO » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:56 pm

The P90X workout series is KILLER! No fancy equipment required, but it's a solid concept and it WORKS! I first learned about it when I was attending the FBI citizen's academy. A lot of the agents were doing it and raved about it. My daughter got a copy and then my wife and I ordered one for ourselves. I've gone from 211 lbs to 178 in 4 months, from a 36+ waist to a 32, and feel better at 58 1/2 than I did when I was 40. I highly recommend it.

JPH

RE: P90X

Postby JPH » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:06 am

Always one to take an opposing stance, I think programs like P90X are a bit overrated. Let me explain.

Packaged programs are a little like fad diets. People start using them and those who are willing to follow the instructions see quick results. Word spreads and more and more people jump on the badwagon. Gurus make lots of money. Everyone wins, in the short term.

The problem comes when the novelty of the fad wears off. Once a person has run through the DVD set a couple of times, things begin to drag. A person gets an injury or the get the flu. They end up putting the DVD's away for a week or two. Suddenly the idea of getting the DVD's out again becomes about as appealing as a root canal. Bye-bye quick results.

Does this make fad excercise programs a bad thing? No, not at all! We all need new ideas and motivation. But the REAL key to long term success is education. A person must learn how to build their own excercise program that is baised on their own body, schedule, budget and intreasts.

I have stacks of exrecise books that deal with all kids of "new" things. Everything from interval training to kettelbells. It is all good information but none of it is worth a hill of beans if I do not learn how to bend it around my own situation.

So, good luck with P90X. I'm really happy that it had produced a positive effect for you. But I strongly suggest building an inclusive fitness regimine that takes you beyond the DVD set.

cullbuck

Postby cullbuck » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:33 am

It worked really well for me, but it is not for the faint of heart. You can hurt yourself doing this program if you don't pace yourself. I lost 40 lbs when I did it last Spring. I've started doing other resistance and endurance training-type workouts, but I plan to go back to P90X soon. I want to be in better shape for round 2 of P90X as I think I'll get more out of it.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:17 am

ORIGINAL: MikeinMO
 I've gone from 211 lbs to 178 in 4 months, from a 36+ waist to a 32, and feel better at 58 1/2 than I did when I was 40. I highly recommend it.

That is KILLER!

Keep to it.
My rule is, you make any program past the 6 week mark and your addicted.
Did you take before and after pics?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:07 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

ORIGINAL: MikeinMO
I've gone from 211 lbs to 178 in 4 months, from a 36+ waist to a 32, and feel better at 58 1/2 than I did when I was 40. I highly recommend it.

That is KILLER!

Keep to it.
My rule is, you make any program past the 6 week mark and your addicted.
Did you take before and after pics?

Maybe. My thoughts are that addictions lead to burnout and/or injury. Remember Tae Bo? Whatever happened to all the people who were addicted to that? I don't know, but I never hear anyone talking about how the Billy Blanks tapes are all they use anymore.

I consider P90X to be an outstanding resource. I'm not knocking anyone who uses it or even the program per-se. I'm knocking the hype. Hype fades. If P90X is producing results for you then I encourage you to learn WHY. Learn about how the program was constructed so when you are bored, tired, injured or whatever you can construct a program for yourself and keep going.

Look, I get paid to grind people in the gym. Before and after each session I take the time to explain why we are doing what we are doing and how it can be modified to adapt to various situations. More than half the clients' eyes gloss over at this point. They'd rather pay someone else to design the workouts for them. I'll keep cashing the checks but I explain to everyone that the real key to long term fitness is knowledge.

Again, no disrespect to any opinions here. (Please don't sue me P90X inc. or whatever you go by.)

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:25 am

I'm guessing you didn't keep up with the whole series and missed this one
[;)]

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:15 am

That - is - AWESOME!

Here's a little clip explaining why he went into exercise video production: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd7JknrLOQA

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:44 pm

hopefully folks on this forum take your advice/opinions and don't take offense to it JPH.
It's always nice to hear a devils advocate view to ensure we're not caught up in the hype.

I've always been a runner, although my BMI and shape at a glance wouldn't reveal it. I've been running 3-5 miles a day for the past 14 years and I probably average 6 days per week. (and that even counts the week off of running in November when I do most of my hunting---getting up at 4am kicks your tail)
In January of this year I too began the P90X workouts. Even purchased a pull up bar and two bowflex dumbells that ranged from 5lbs to 52.5lbs each. They were about $400 off ebay brand new. I did two complete rounds and for the most part kept with the diet. I noticed a distinct difference in my lats and arms, however gained about 10lbs. In my opinion it was because I wasn't exerting as much energy during the workouts in my house (with the AC on) as I was outside running in the heat. In August, I began running again and have modified the p90x series into my own preference. I lift 3 days a week and run the other 4. I don't do the yoga, plyo, or kempo routines as I run those days.
Bottom line, it may be a fad, none of us has a crystal ball, but it's taught me about proper eating and proper form with weight training. I now weigh all my food to ensure i'm not overeating and try to keep that furnace burning so I can keep my metabolism up.
I agree with JPH, education and finding a routine that will encourage longevity are the two keys to success.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:20 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Here's a little clip explaining why he went into exercise video production: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd7JknrLOQA

Timmmmmmber!

I don't know whats worse, that knockout or his acting career [:D]

nromn

Postby nromn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:48 am

I have been using P90X off and on for a few months now. I have never had weight issues and in fact I want to put on muscle. I got to say I love it. The only problem is getting into a routine and finding at least an hour a day to do it. After hunting season I hope to get into a regular routine.

Anyways, the reason I love it is because its low impact on joints. Running to me is extremely boring and bad for the knees, so I have never been able to stick to that. I also have Crohn's and when I stuck with it for 2 weeks, the results were amazing, unlike any other exercising I have stuck with in the past. I felt great and my GI system responded very positively.

I also like it because its a grueling workout and I can do it in my basement instead of getting bundled up (in the winter) and spending half an hour getting to the gym and back. Its convenient.

It may be a fad, but I hope to stick to it. Maybe in time, I will modify my workout if it gets a little boring, but its been great so far and this winter I hope to get into the routine and stick with it.  

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness