BLACK FAWN

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Everyday Hunter

RE: BLACK FAWN

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:12 am

ORIGINAL: SoIll Dawg

I got these as well  My 1st reaction was photoshop.  Is there such a thing as a black deer?  I saw an all white one the other day....

Yes. Just do a search for "black deer" and you'll find several, including this one:

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:06 am

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:27 am

Black coloration is simply a genetic trait that shows up from time to time, similar to an albino.  I believe the term for a black deer is "melanistic", referring to an overproduction of melanin (the compound in animals that provides pigmentation) as opposed to not producing any melanin, which is the albino trait.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:29 am

If you think a black deer is amazing then this will blow your mind. One time a black guy shot a black buck. I saw it in the newspaper.

Its not racist because it's a true story.

Also no one thinks it's ironic for a white person to shoot a white deer...just sayin
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

paulie

Postby paulie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:56 am

ORIGINAL: Deebz

Black coloration is simply a genetic trait that shows up from time to time, similar to an albino.  I believe the term for a black deer is "melanistic", referring to an overproduction of melanin (the compound in animals that provides pigmentation) as opposed to not producing any melanin, which is the albino trait.

You are correct. There is a (brief) article about this in the Oct issue of D&DH.

crittergitter

Postby crittergitter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:43 pm

ORIGINAL: Cut N Run

I got this picture off another hunting website. I'd love to see a buck like this, or even bigger when I was hunting.

Jim

i illed an 8 pointer a few years ago that we had seen a few times before the season came in that was almost as dark as this one ( not quite ) the only white he had on him anywhere was a little spot under his tail and it was more grey than white , was weird looking but beautiful at the same time ! unfortunatly i made a marginal shot on him and had to wait till morning to track him , by the time we got their and found him shortly after daylight , the coyoted had already found him and destroyed him , was going to try to save enough for a shoulder mount but as soon as we started messing with him we were covered in ants , they were everywhere on him , only thing we got was a few pics and they didnt do him justice

Mac

Postby Mac » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:21 am

[:D][:D][:D]
It looks super fast!
I bet it can out run all the albino and piebald deer out there! LMAO!!!
[:D][:D][:D]
Quote: "Real men hunt with fly swatters!" - me... lol

dewde

Postby dewde » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:27 pm

Quickdraw, those were my same exact thoughts
----------------
Commercial Kitchen Equipment
Catering Equipment

Psychoticchaos

Postby Psychoticchaos » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Those are all really cool pictures. I don't know what I would do if they walked up to my stand. Part of me would want to take them and tan the hide, but the other half says to let him/her go to reproduce.
Lord, let my arrow fly true, make this a swift and humane kill, Save him from any suffering.

Ar_ladyhunter

Re: BLACK FAWN

Postby Ar_ladyhunter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:43 am

Black deer are rare, more so than piebald or albinos. They are known as melanistic which means their bodies produce far too much of the pigment known as melanin which makes them much darker than your average whitetail.
Tree hugging is okay, as long as you are climbing up to your tree stand

Previous

Return to Photo Corner