Am I using the correct detergent?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Patriot

Am I using the correct detergent?

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:03 am

Hey folks,
I've been using this detergent for all my gear for several years.  I use it on my scent lok/blocker clothes as well. 

Am I rendering my scent lok useless by using this detergent?

I'm not here to debate scent lok's effectiveness.  I just need to know if I should be using another kind of detergent for my carbon clothing (ie. Carbo Wash).

Thanks!

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Woods Walker

RE: Am I using the correct detergent?

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:24 am

Ultimately I don't think it really makes any difference as long as it's scent free as possible.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:33 am

I agree with woods walker on this one.. I use to use that same stuff you are using, but I switched this year to their autom formula
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:56 am

Just hope I'm not clogging the "pores" on my scent lok stuff.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:03 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Ultimately I don't think it really makes any difference as long as it's scent free as possible.

LOL, you have to take WW's comments with a grain of salt.  Go look at the ScentLok/Blocker thread! :)

Like I told you last night, this stuff will clog the carbon molecules basically rendering it useless (as far as being able to use the carbon).  Yea, you can still get it scent free but you won't be able to use the carbon in the clothing to your advantage.  Get the carbo-wash.
QDM!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:07 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

I agree with woods walker on this one.. I use to use that same stuff you are using, but I switched this year to their autom formula

Question for you DeerCamp...Do you wash your carbon clothing in the autumn formula?  If so, it's basically the same concept PLUS with the autumn scent, the carbon is working to get rid of that 'autumn' scent, so it fills up as well.  Before using carbon clothing, I stored and washed all my clothes in this stuff.  Put earth scent wafers in my sealable bags, etc...but now that I use carbon, I keep all my stuff sealed scent free.  Any kind of scent that you store your carbon in, it'll suck that up and clog the pores. 
QDM!

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:55 am

I laugh...cause the debate will never end...you either believe or you don't.

I work at Gander Mt and when the rep came in, they told us that you have to wash the stuff in the special carbon clothing wash in order to keep the carbon active. Also told us that every time you spray scent killer on carbon clothing, you're just doing harm rather than good. BUT....look what else they've said and why they're in a lawsuit!

My common sense tells me that carbon clothing only lasts so long just like any scent spray or anything else. I got a pair of boots that have ScentLok in them and a tag in the box literally says "Scentlok only effective for the first 30 hours of use". Then what??

So you might be "killing" the carbon in your clothing a little faster by washing it in a non carbon clothing wash, but in the long run the garments are still cloth and you're still making your clothing scent free which is the overall goal anyhow.

Can you tell I'm not a believer in spending the money on carbon clothing [>:]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:10 am

LOL, you have to take WW's comments with a grain of salt. Go look at the ScentLok/Blocker thread! :)

I gave an honest, non-hostile answer to his question. Sorry if you don't like it. I guess I'll remember this when I reply to one of your posts sometime.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:11 am

Maybe I'll just wear my dirty jeans, lawn mowing shirt, and sweaty softball cap.  [8D]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:58 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

LOL, you have to take WW's comments with a grain of salt. Go look at the ScentLok/Blocker thread! :)

I gave an honest, non-hostile answer to his question. Sorry if you don't like it. I guess I'll remember this when I reply to one of your posts sometime.

Touchy touchy.  I appreciate your opinion and I'm sure Patriot does as well.  I was just poking fun. 

Like has been said, people will believe what they want to believe.  Myself, I'm a believer. 

Mastertangler...Did they say if all scent killer spay will render the carbon clothing useless, or just the scented stuff?  I was told you can use non-scented scent killer on your carbon clothing but not the autumn formula or anything that has an actual scent to it. 

QDM!

Next

Return to Best Practices