Does anyone use Google Earth?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeerAddict

RE: Does anyone use Google Earth?

Postby DeerAddict » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:05 am

I couldn't find the snipping tool so I tried the prnt scrn thing and it worked accept when I tried to upload my pic to the d & d website it wouldnt accept it.. a screen popped up that said fakepath//untitled.bmp is not supported...I guess I'm just screwed.[&:]

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:33 pm

when you have it open in paint.... when you save it.. make sure to save it as a jpeg.. not a bitmap... when you hit save as from the toolbar a popup will come up for the savepath.. there is a dropdown box on the bottom of the popup... click it then click jpg.bam you are done...alot of sites won't accept bitmap uploads
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Thanks Everyone!!! All of your advice helped!!! I just had to do what you said blueeyeddragon76, I saved to what you said and it worked.. It was as simple as that... Im not sure how I couldnt figure that out..[:)]

This is what I was trying to upload....(Where i'll be bowhunting.) Ps Thanks everyone for the help!!!

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:49 pm

I would also like to thank those who gave the tips on Google Earth.   I finally got a chance to play with them and they are sweet.   Can really  pick out the terrain better with the 3d function.  I was surprised it even showed the 3d detail when using the USGS topo plug in I have.  Google Earth was a useful scouting tool before, thanks to those here I am able to step it up a notch before burning boot leather on the ground

I belong to a few hunting forums, and this one is at the top for getting useful information to improve my hunting!

I attached a picture of the 3d topo map.  I apologize for editing the location details..  just not willing to share my public land spots with the entire internet.  Hope you understand.

Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

baddoghunter

Postby baddoghunter » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:25 am

I use Google Earth and any maps the state I am going to hunt provide on line or I go to Terraserver which lets you toggle between a topo map and a stailite view. Also read Mapping Trophy Whitetailsand use what I learned to check for saddles and benches etc. I then drive around the area and mark waypoints at every intersection of roads around the property and then mark where I park the truck. This way no matter where I am in the woods or if I follow and recover a deer I can look for the easiest and closest way to drag it out. I then back this up with a printed map and a compass reading and mark all my stand sights etc.as I learn the property or area. Starting this year after season is over we are going to set up trail cams to see what survived the season and then mark every place we find a rub line or rubs and ground scrapes or primary scrap or with a licking branchand hopefully sheds. Then we are going to download the info to a mapping program like Map data 100 I think its called or Topo USA and look to see the patterns for next year.
My House Is Protected By The Good Lord And Guns.
And You Might Meet Them Both If You Show Up Here Not Welcome Son.

Previous

Return to Best Practices