Anyone else in Northern New Hampshire?

blueeyeddragon76

Anyone else in Northern New Hampshire?

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:53 am

Fairly new to this forum, as well as hunting deer.. went out a bit last year but the only shooter i saw was on the run from a coyote and way out of my range... glad to get all the input and advice from the threads and experts here... i was just wondering if anyone had any insight or experience hunting up my way because i know there can be some different behaviors for deer in different areas of the country... you have all been a great help aso far and i have learned alot already... thanks for the warm welcome.... jay
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

woodsalta

RE: Anyone else in Northern New Hampshire?

Postby woodsalta » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:12 am

Hi there Blue - How far up are you? I have a brother-in-law who lives in Maine 5 hours north of Boston, near the boarder of NH. He lives in the mountains and his deer population got hit pretty hard the last few winters, to the point that they didn't issue doe permits the last few years. He said the bucks were still moving good, but longer distances due to the winter kill. This year they started issuing doe tags again, but in limited numbers. The best places he looked were thick heavy wooded areas, places where there would be water and food, and if you're allowed to in NH through out some bait (corn, apples, salt blocks, etc). Just look for their game trails and set up a stand or blind 15 yards or so off of them and wait.

Hope it helps,
Andy
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:01 am

yeah it does help thank you! i am in littleton NH, about 4 hours from boston, just north of franconia notch and cannon mountain.. yeah there has been a big hit in the population, this year sep. 15-30 is antlered deer only for archery ( i won't be shooting bow this fasll though) and then during firearms season there is only 1 day of any deer shooting, the rest is antlered only... we are hoping by leaving more good breeding does to rebuild the numbers in the next few years we will see.... but one thing i have noticed is we get so many hunters from out of state because it is easier to hunt here then there ( vermont)... i think tat fish and game might want to put a cap on out of state hunting licenses for at least a few seaons to help limit the damage to the herd.. i am not saying to cut out out of state hunters.. lord knows they provide alot of revenue, but just to back off on the number of tags issued to out of staters... if we give the herd time to repopulate and grow... then we will all have better luck and better bucks.. thanks for the info.. and good luck to you!

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:30 am

No problem, glad I could help with the info. Let us know when you get one!

Good luck!
Andy
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

deerhunter4362

Postby deerhunter4362 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:47 pm

I hunt in all the areas of the state,,the herd is'nt hurting to bad,,a little , but they are offering you 2 M area doe tags,,come south and hunt in the state land areas..its open to the public and do have a lot of deer..

JESSEL424

Postby JESSEL424 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 am

Hey deerhunter I was wandering if you could mention some good Southern NH hunting areas that are open to the public? This is my first year hunting NH and am looking for any help I can get :) thanks

deerhunter4362

Postby deerhunter4362 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:01 pm

merrimack, amherst and bedford,,above milford,,all have public land you can hunt,,if you have time check out the local maps,,most of them show what ae open land,,also a lot of the outer farms let you hunt if you ask for permission,,i have been give some areas by the farmers,,they are ver y good and if you respect there land they have no problems,,good luck,,

crazybull

Postby crazybull » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:20 pm

This is my first year hunting in NH.  I live in the manchester area and was looking to hunt on the New Boston Air Force Station.  I hear the areas around Bennington and Hillsbourgh are ok hunting as well.
Fear the government that fears your gun!

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:38 am

Yeah I would love to hunt further down in the state, but unfortunately the logistics of it just don't work for me, but i have a couple of spots i knew about last year to hunt and just found three more new ones to try coming up, most are private land that I have permission for but found a couple of public land sites that aren't pressured too badly.. so hopefully i will get the chance to take a good one in november. I do know if you can find areas along powerlines, or the large fields around the dams where powerlines run from them, they are really good up here, the largest problem here with them is that we get alot of hunters from vermont here so any well known areas get hunted too hard by too many people who like to shoot anything that moves... good luck!and have a good season

Return to New Hampshire