Am I using the correct detergent?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
buckhunter21

RE: Am I using the correct detergent?

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:07 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Maybe I'll just wear my dirty jeans, lawn mowing shirt, and sweaty softball cap.  [8D]

or you could do that too. like we talked about last night as well....what did the old timers have back in the day?  they didn't have any of this stuff and they still 'harvested' animals.  [:D]
QDM!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:26 am

I'm going to create a new line of hunting clothing called "Scented Locker".  You think anyone would by it?

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:12 am

ORIGINAL: Mastertangler

I laugh...cause the debate will never end...you either believe or you don't.

I work at Gander Mt and when the rep came in, they told us that you have to wash the stuff in the special carbon clothing wash in order to keep the carbon active. Also told us that every time you spray scent killer on carbon clothing, you're just doing harm rather than good. BUT....look what else they've said and why they're in a lawsuit!

My common sense tells me that carbon clothing only lasts so long just like any scent spray or anything else. I got a pair of boots that have ScentLok in them and a tag in the box literally says "Scentlok only effective for the first 30 hours of use". Then what??

So you might be "killing" the carbon in your clothing a little faster by washing it in a non carbon clothing wash, but in the long run the garments are still cloth and you're still making your clothing scent free which is the overall goal anyhow.

Can you tell I'm not a believer in spending the money on carbon clothing [>:]

You are right. The carbon will expire itself after a certain time. The military uses a suit that is similar called the MOPP suit or JSLST suit for chemical warfare. It has a carbon liner inside the fabric and has a very short expiration date after it is taken out of it's packaging. The same principles apply I would think with these carbon hunting clothes. I never really understood the whole concept of "activating" the garments in a dryer. If scentlok and Scentblocker claim you can "re-activate" these carbon suits and still have the same effect, then they gotta be holding back a secret science that the military could be using to protect soldiers in a chemical environment. I dont know.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:27 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Just hope I'm not clogging the "pores" on my scent lok stuff.

Just remember that you only have 27% coverage on your clothing of carbon. In court released document they showed that their testing was only effective to change 14% of that carbon. I know that Asko's detergent is designed to work with carbon. I just won't worry too much about it. Just stay as clean as possible and be smart

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:42 pm

ORIGINAL: bmorris

[
Just remember that you only have 27% coverage on your clothing of carbon. In court released document they showed that their testing was only effective to change 14% of that carbon. I know that Asko's detergent is designed to work with carbon. I just won't worry too much about it. Just stay as clean as possible and be smart

carbon will expire

So if you hunt 4 hours which is 50% of a full day, and 27% of your clothing has carbon coverage, 14% of which is effective then you're at 91% effective. LOL, that should be sentlok's new slogan.
"91% of the time the deer in the woods won't smell you" this of course includes the time your not in the woods.

bmorris

Postby bmorris » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:09 pm

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

ORIGINAL: bmorris

[

carbon will expire

So if you hunt 4 hours which is 50% of a full day, and 27% of your clothing has carbon coverage, 14% of which is effective then you're at 91% effective. LOL, that should be sentlok's new slogan.
"91% of the time the deer in the woods won't smell you" this of course includes the time your not in the woods.

your way of base in your figures.
The court found that there was only 27 % coverage in the clothing. That left 73 % with no coverage.

They found that when they tried to reactivate the 27 % they could onlY effect 14 % so the second time you used the clothing you only had 14% of the 27% of the carbon was useful or like 5% not 91% .

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Are these word problems going to be on Friday's quiz?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Mastertangler

Postby Mastertangler » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:46 am

Sorry for the delayed reply Jslotter.... (see you're in WI...ditto...and good luck tomorrow!)

As for which sprays.....doesn't matter. It's sort of the Fabreeze effect...chemicals bond to the scents to kill them. Ok, but then where do they go, they get absorbed by the carbon. So the idea was let the clothing work as intended, don't spray things on it, don't wash it in soaps, etc. IE: Rinse it with water every once in a while and put it in the dryer.

And as others have agreed, the carbon eventually wears out, so where's the line between following the Scentlok guidelines vs having to wash it like any other piece of hunting clothing you wear??
I like the camo patterns, I like the comfort, and everyone likes to have brand names.....but I won't be going out and buying any unless it's on clearance. Maybe my thoughts are why they don't put me in the clothing dept of the store :-)

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:04 am

No problem Masterangler. The carbon absorbs odor and or if you in a chemical contaminated area, it will neutralize the contamination from getting onto your skin. Thats all its good for really. There is no possible way to rid the carbon of contamination. I do have a Scentlok suit. I was one of those suckers that believed in the BS and way before the lawsuits. The instructions told me to put the stuff in a dryer. Why??? I just washed them in a 5 gallon bucket with scent free soap and air dried them to get that nasty factory smell out them. I think I ruined them because the water turned gray from all the carbon. But they work just fine and keep me warm. The carbon in my suit is far beyond useless now and I still see deer.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:23 pm

b,
you missed my point. I was talking like a scent lok rep. Trying to construe the numbers so the general public buys my ads.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices