Are the prices keeping you from buying a safety harness?

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Sailfish

RE: Are the prices keeping you from buying a safety harness?

Postby Sailfish » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:36 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

I use the Hunter Safety System as well.  Yep, it's expensive, but given what I'm protecting it's worth the price  [:)]. 

Don't leave home without one.

My HSS vest while hunting and an Epirb for fishing.
I think the cost is relatively inexpensive, considering the alternative
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Walking Crow

Postby Walking Crow » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:55 am

If your life is not worth the cost of safety harness, then something is wrong with you. I see guys spend over $100.00 plus for arrows but won't buy a harness. I chewed out my cousin for taking his boy hunting and not getting his son to wear a harness. I told him that if he does not his boy a harnes I will call his wife and tell her. He whined and complained about the cost. In the end he bought both of them a new harness.

Bob D

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:00 am

A harness is much cheaper than a wheel-chair !
Semper Fi !

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:50 am

I just ordered the HSS Pro series vest from Sportsman Guide. I hope it gets here by the weekend! The price at sportsmans was the best I could find in my area, WI. Good luck and Good hunting, and hunt SAFE!! Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution." Ben Franklin

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:08 am

well prices are keeping me from buying a harness... which is why i haven't gone in my climber stand....won't do it.... here is something else i have not seen mentioned... the vests and harnesses are only good for five years from date of purchase.. wether you have a fall or not, and if you do fall.... it's donesky.. you need to buy a new one... not that I have an opinion about that... think its a smart idea... just figured i would let everyone know...
P.S. if anyone has a spare one of the ones you don't like to wear that is just sitting in plastic on a shelf or in the basement.. you can feel free to send it along to me!...lol.. another tip with the strap style harness.... if you mark all the straps and buckles it makes it alot easier to get it on... (my daughters dayglo orange nail polish works great... (LH= left leg on both sides of the buckles, RL= right leg...etc. etc...) hope it helps.
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:20 am

I just purchased a HSS vest for my 12 year old son who will now be hunting with me in a tree in our new buddy-stand. I have 3 or 4 harnesses that came with stands I purchased the past couple years that I do not use but they are too big for him. Though expensive, I was able to buy my son the youth vest for $49 plus tax at Dick's Sporting Goods... somehow after some proding (and whining- I'm not proud), I got the clerk to give me a $10% discount.

I had my son up in the stand a couple weeks ago without the vest while he sat and practiced with a crossbow. At the time I felt as though I could keep him from falling, plus it's a ladder stand so I made sure he had at least a 3-point contact at all times when climbing in and out. But after I came to my senses, I knew I couldn't live with the thought (or my wife) if I let him back in that tree without a harness and God forbid tragedy struck.

To me his life and good health are worth more than gold, so $50 was nothing to me.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:53 am

I got a HSS harness. It was expensive. Had to do it. I hear to many horror stories of people falling and jacking themselves up bad. Not gonna be me. I really like using the lineman strap when putting up climbing sticks. Its so much easier and safer. I feel a little more secure and confident now in my stand, which has very little space to maneuver. I never used a harness in my last 16 years of hunting until this year. Stay safe, Stay alive...
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Previous

Return to Tree Stands