New to board

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Razorbacker

New to board

Postby Razorbacker » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:36 am

Hey ya'll...

I'm an ol' Arky and am used to hunting in south Arkansas (pines, flat-lands, etc.). I'm marrying into a family who owns land in NW Missouri, about 45 miles to Iowa state line. I've got the hunting rights, have seen the land, but have never hunted that kind of open space with few tree lines. Any advice you guys could give me would be very much appreciated. I'm a young guy, not a ton of experience, but want to have an idea of how to go about placing stands, etc.

Thanks -

scotman

RE: New to board

Postby scotman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:32 am

Razorbacker welcome to the forums. Never hunted down their so really don't know, but if their is any standing corn or mast producing trees I would center on that. Only some heavy scouting before season will let you know their patterns. Don't wait too late though, once they know a human is around they will change their patterns for a short while intill they know it's safe to resume their regular trails. Try some scouting at noon on windy days when the deer will be bedded to reduce the intrusion. But like I said never hunted that area maybe someone else on here has that can give you more specifics for that area. Good luck.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

bowhuntersrave

Postby bowhuntersrave » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:21 pm

Welcome Razorback from Maine
www.bowhuntersrave.com
Preserving our bowhunting heritage

Mathews/Bowtech Raffle enter today

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:02 pm

What's up Razorbacker? Need a new hunting buddy? Let me tell you, RB, Missouri is the best kept secret in deer hunting. I got a buddy that hunts a weekend every rifle season, he loves it there. 

Here's an important mathematical equation... write this down...

Standing corn in NW Missouri + sighted-in 270 =  BIG BUCKS

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Welcome razor from the deeep south, Florida.
Hope you enjoy your stay
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:39 pm

Welcome aboard Razorback.
I am from NW Missouri and know the area you speak of.
You are hunting in some of the best deer hunting grounds around. I hunt just a little farther South than you, Closer to St. Joseph, but the hunting is the same. Try pulling up your areas satallite picture and look for funnels, inside corners, and water before you go to scout it. Most hunting around here is on field edges but there is some timber large enough to look at. Your biggest problem will be the fact that you just cant scout like you would want to, so the satallite pictures and topographic maps will be a big help.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:47 pm

Welcome to the forums, nice to meet you, you've got lucky getting to hunt NW MO.  sure are some monsters there. I'd be waiting on a huge 170"+ B&C buck if I were you! If you can set up a stand on the edge of a AG crop,or water way , you should be able to score! 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Corey Graff

Postby Corey Graff » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:02 am

Welcome! Make sure to use our Photo Gallery to post and share photos from your hunts up there!

Return to General Discussions