Hunting Journals

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
AlleganBowhunter

Hunting Journals

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:34 pm

Anyone keep a hunting (or fishing) journal?  I am wanting to start one to help me better track where and when I am hunting, track deer activity, etc. 

Anyone have any experience with the online journals (Pro Hunters Journal and Mossy Oaks Field Journal or others)? 

I am old fashion in some stuff but prefer to keep track of things on the 'puter.  Going to be trying out both the Pro Hunters Journal and the Mossy Oak Field Journal this fall.  Will post back pros and cons of these in a few months, if I can keep up on writing in them!

Thanks for your help.

Happy Hunting!
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

buckhunter21

RE: Hunting Journals

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:49 pm

great thread!  i keep track of all my hunts on a separate hunting calendar in my outlook email.  this also syncs to my hotmail accounts so i can check it on there as well.  it's pretty neat...i wouldn't have it any other way.  i can go back to whatever year i want and see what the temps were, where i hunted, what i saw, etc. 

is the pro hunters journal or mossy oak field journal free at all?  i've looked at gametraxx (www.gametraxx.com) and it looks like it has a lot of nice features but it isn't free.  $30/year.
QDM!

KYdeer88

Postby KYdeer88 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:09 am

Yes for the past few years. I keep a book with info like date, weather, what I saw... I also keep info on what oaks are dropping and when and what other friends are seeing in the woods. All sorts of info. Its fun to look back and recall details about a hunt.

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:19 pm

buckhunter21:  They are free.  So far, I am liking PHJ better.  I have to play with it more, but the Mossy Oak Field Journal seems to only allow sightings, not really for journal/.diary type entries.  I maybe doing it wrong though. Both have map interfaces and Mossy oak has weather (not sure if its weather history to check back on previous dates/hunts.)

You hit the nail on the head with yours.  I am not always on the same computer, so I am looking for something online that I can access from other places and not worry about forgetting my jump drive.

Here are the links.
www.prohuntersjournal.com/
www.mossyoak.com  (under Quick Jump, labeled "Field Journal" ..  and it only works with Internet Explorer [8|])

Not endorsing either.  Looking to share with others and learn from others.  Anyone else have any thoughts?
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:23 pm

I've been keeping a hunting journal for over 25 years. It's nothing simple, just a hardcover book with lined pages. I'm just starting my 3rd volume. Incidently, using the services of an online self-publishing site, I'm just finishing off a book about my hunting adventures. I'm using my journals and photo albums as sources for the book. Invaluable!

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:56 pm

I kept one for many years, and then I fell out of the practice. Maybe I should start it up again, if for no other reason than reading about my season during the "dull" months!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:31 pm

I started keeping one last year and wish I would have done so from the beginning. I log my entries into a Word document and add pictures and borders, then print them out and put them in a binder. It has been enjoyable to go back and relive the last season.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Powell1120

Postby Powell1120 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:43 pm

I must say you beat me to this one. I have been trying to start a journal for a couple years now but I am never happy with the way i put them together. I always feel like I am not putting enough information or the co0rrect info. My question is beside the basic stuff such as the date, daily weather and such, what else should one include? How detailed do you get? I think that for the journal to be useful in years to come it should a detailed as possible but where do you draw the line? I have also thought that as an opener to each years daily logs, it might be useful to have a breif description of the pre seasons weather patterns, excessive rain or heat or drought etc. Any thoughts?

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:00 pm

ORIGINAL: Powell1120

My question is beside the basic stuff such as the date, daily weather and such, what else should one include? How detailed do you get? I think that for the journal to be useful in years to come it should a detailed as possible but where do you draw the line? I have also thought that as an opener to each years daily logs, it might be useful to have a breif description of the pre seasons weather patterns, excessive rain or heat or drought etc. Any thoughts?

My hunting expeditions are rather simple: 1 week for moose and 1 week for whitetails. I start each year's entries with a summary of the past year's weather and a statement about the status of the herd. Additionally, if something noteworthy occured over the past year, I may include that as well. At the end of each day afield, I will document the day's experiences. Since I hunt with a group, I interview each member to determine if they saw anything, or the details of filling their tag. At the end of the week, I'll usually include some closing remarks.

Keeping a journal can be a bit taxing at times... especially if you had a long day afield. Sometimes the guys that I hunt with are tired and not very forthcoming with information. One thing that I discovered was that, when I started a writing a journal 27 years ago, the guys I hunted with thought it was a waste of time. Now, they all like to flip back through the years. I suggest that you include as much detail as possible... later in life you will be thankful for it.

Lastly, I also suggest that you take lots of pictures as a they will complement your journal.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:38 pm

I just signed up on the Pro Hunters Journal (www.prohuntersjournal.com) that AlleganBowhunter posted earlier.  I must say, it has pretty much everything I have every wanted in a journal from first glimpse.  ...and it doesn't hurt that it's free.  Check it out and give a review if you have time!

AlleganBowhunter...Thanks again for finding this!
QDM!

Next

Return to Best Practices