Fall Plots

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
kbdeerdown

RE: Fall Plots

Postby kbdeerdown » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Mild frost came here this week - things should be sweetning up soon! Brassica planting turned out well after all - slow start due to lack of soil moisture but looks good now - I was a little worried for a while!! Put in a strip of winter wheat as well for the first time (next to brassicas in picture). It's coming up good but there are tonnes of geese coming in and ravaging the wheat and clover. Clover is handling browse well but not the wheat! Planted some in another spot so I'm anxious to see how the deer like it this fall and next spring. Oct 1 is coming ... soon time to get the bow out!! Happy hunting all,

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:45 pm

I'll try the picture again

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:24 pm

KB plots look great!
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:34 am

Here is the skinny on the Winter Greens and Tall Tine Tubers. The deer LOVE them!!! They were hitting the greens a little bit at first but as soon as they got the taste for them there are deer in them every morning and evening! After a couple of frosts the deer started plucking the turnips out of the ground and chowing down on them. I would love to post the pics I have but I keep getting a "Run Time" error. I have asked if anyone knew how to fix this here and even started a thread under the help section with no replies to either post. Oh well. Happy hunting all!
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

Joe G.

Postby Joe G. » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:35 am

Oh, btw, I plucked a turnip too and tried it. Very tasty...LOL

NRA Benefactor Member
NAHC Life Member

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:51 am

Groundhog radishes came in great. The deer didn't hit them right away but late Oct after the week of frost they hit them hard. I may not have to till next spring it is so torn up. Have some rape left but that will be gone soon too. This was on a FP of 3/4 acre in woods.

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:58 am

ph was 5, so I put down lime. Not enough though, so more next year. I did get growth, butonly 6' plants. I PUT one truck load of manure down on 30'x30' and aftertilling got 12' growthinthat spot. I need 3 more loads to cover plot. Drew lots of doe and buck sign all over woods surounding but only one long shot at bucks, missed. They have eatenit down to nothing now.

easports

Postby easports » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:59 am

Sounds like things are moving in the right direction regarding your plot.  Hopefully by next year your can get the PH levels where you want for the maximum results.  Its always hard work.  Good luck.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Wow KB...those food plots look very nice....You did a good/excellent job in planting! [:D] [;)]
Our food plots were pretty sad in comparison,the food plots at the Home Farm did better because I planted them in late August and they got more rain and a better start.I put down brassicas,rape and split up the WI Tall Tine Tubes between 2 different food plots then we got dry weather from Sept into October which really hurt the food plots,the best plot was down on a valley/bottom field and I actually got 2 shots at a nice 8-Point Buck but missed because I mis-judged the distance! :(

The larger Food Plots we planted at the Lease went in around the 1st or 2nd week of Sept,they all started out pretty good but fizzled down pretty thin because of all the dry weather we had in Sept and Oct.,it was actually the driest Fall we ever had for a long time,still the winter wheat faired pretty good and you could see the leafs of the purple-top turnips thru out the field just begging for water.We got some rain during the week of Rifle Deer Season and even more now that Rifle season has ended.We had several pictures of the Deer using the food plots even tho we had a very good acorn crop this year...so like I stated earlier....Deer like a variety of different food! ;) 

newgold

Postby newgold » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:28 am

Cool - thanks GTO. Sounds like we are doing some of the same things with the clover. I'm thiking I might mix wheat and oats together later this summer and see how it goes.

PreviousNext

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements