dumb founded

Describe the most puzzling blood trail you've ever been on.
chris

dumb founded

Postby chris » Sun May 11, 2008 5:01 pm

this past fall nov.10 i moved from one stand to another because of wind change.the stand i moved to is surrounded by small drainage ditch and a one acre willow patch with about 5 acres of canary grass.I came out the swamp onto the lane that runs next to the drainage ditch.i heard a deer blow,its a wide open area thinking i got busted i just kept walking.All of sudden it did it again,this time i stopped looked up and about 75 yds away was a 170 class buck in the edge of the willow patch,not looking at me but 2 smaller bucks,one through the season we called elmer.so i crawled along the trail undetected for 50 ydsand got inline with the doe.while elmer was doing his job making mr. big ticked off.she came within 30 yds broadside an brought mr.big right in,i drew without him or any of them seeing me. i let the arrow go and watch it  drill mr. big, it was a tad low but in the lungs.all the comotion stopped he went 10 yds stopped which gave me time to shoot another arrow and hit him in the leg.little willow brush in the way that i couldnt see deflected my arrow.i sat for over an hour and a half. the deer were all in this 1 acre willow patch.i could see all around it. nothing ever came out.i had the wind in my favor.i snuck out the way i came.we waited 2.5 hrs to pursue.from first impact spot instant blood everywhere.like the coolaid man sprung a leak.we took our time following the blood, it was everywhere inside that one acre willow patch,all four corners,no dead deer.no spot exiting out anywhere,check the ditch on the muddy banks, zero.We were back at the next morning with a warden asking what time we finally got out the night before.In we went with the blood dog and 4 hunting partners.we covered over 30 acres 10.5 hrs of tracking and a image of blood splatter that had made me dumb founded to this day.

[/align]

scotman

RE: dumb founded

Postby scotman » Tue May 13, 2008 2:35 pm

What did the blood look like? Another thought would check the closest water supplies. Maybe you hit him farther back than you expected. He wouldve took the path of least resistance seeing how you gave him time to do that. So might be worth the effort of just having the horns to sit back and examine the terrain with a clear head. Not that you didnt have a clear head to begin with but I know how buck fever can be :)
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue May 13, 2008 3:53 pm

wow that is strange .the fact that the blood hound couldnt find it makes me think water too.or maybe aliens
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

chris

Postby chris » Wed May 14, 2008 2:12 am

i have spent countless hours and others in my group looking for this deer.I will be turkey hunting there this afternoon,you can bet i willl be looking again.One thing out of the whole ordeal,We got to know land pretty darn well.

[/align]

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:46 am

that is crazy that the blood dog could not find it. its amazing how far a deer can run with such injuries

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat May 17, 2008 3:56 am

Maybe some fat plugged the entry hole. Even so, the dog should have been able to find the deer none the less. I'd say someone stole your deer,but its hard to say,Thats why they call it hunting. You could have got a bad hit as well and not known it,then the dog would have kept bumping the deer.Did you find any spots where the deer bedded down and bleed,then moved to another spot,etc.?

chris

Postby chris » Sat May 17, 2008 7:59 am

[/align]The blood was bright and bubbly I had three beds from him in that one acre spot.I didnt want to let this out but it is on county land,there was about 2 dozen different hunters in the parking lot that night.Most of them i knew and where they are set up But can't account for all.I really did not want to think about that situation but it could of happened,but that buck would of been talked about in a three county radius.nothing said.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon May 19, 2008 11:29 am

I had a similiar scenario too.
Hit the deer. Found good blood, tissue and hair.
Deer took off running, ran a good 1/4 mile, blood the whole way.
Leaned against a tree, pooled more blood, then a few small splatters away from the tree to an open field................
I'll never figure that out.

scotman

Postby scotman » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:25 am

ORIGINAL: chris

The blood was bright and bubbly I had three beds from him in that one acre spot.I didnt want to let this out but it is on county land,there was about 2 dozen different hunters in the parking lot that night.Most of them i knew and where they are set up But can't account for all.I really did not want to think about that situation but it could of happened,but that buck would of been talked about in a three county radius.nothing said.

I would check the thickest cover, briar patches, small creeks and behind dead falls he would've headed for that for safety.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Oh man, sorry bro!

Next

Return to Blood Trailing