baiting

Discuss articles and commentaries from our recent issues!
EatDeer

baiting

Postby EatDeer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:30 am

In the June 2008 issue, the artical titled, "Find next year's buck now" the author wrote about places to avoid. He wrote that if the property isn't large enough to use the baiter as a deer deflector for mature bucks,and you do not want to cut off the runways leading to the bait, the property is likely not worth hunting.  I didn't quite understand what he was saying?

scotman

RE: baiting

Postby scotman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:54 am

What I got out of it was when someone baits on a small property you effect the deer movement not only on that property the baiter is on but the adjacent properties as well. If your not prepared to "cutoff" or hunt the trails from the baiting property leading to the adjacent property. "Then the property is likely not worth hunting".

The authors reference to a "deer deflector for mature bucks" I think was, If a baiter is used on a large property the adjacent properties mature bucks will not be effected by the feeder as much as a smaller property, the distance from the feeder determines whether it is a deflector. The greater the distance the greater the deflector. The more, the mature buck is in it's natural surroundings.

Great article by the way!
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:52 pm

That helps thanks,scotman.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:12 pm

I know a guy who's family owns a seed company. He would take 800 bushel loads of "Mill Waste" to one of their farms that he happens to deer hunt on, and lay a runway of feed. They had to get rid of it somehow, but he always dumped some just before deer season. You talk about baiting! This would attract deer like crazy!  The size of the property did'nt matter at that point, and all the neighboring hunters knew to hunt the travel routes to his property.

Return to Deer & Deer Hunting Features