Sawtooth Oak?

Do you have an interesting field note, photo or observation to share? We want to hear from you!
Bluegrass Archer

Sawtooth Oak?

Postby Bluegrass Archer » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:07 pm

I've been running across these trees alot on the public property ive been hunting, and it appears deer have been tearing them up. But it took me forever to figure out what they were. They wernt in my eastern trees field guide, and i couldnt find them on internet searches either. I finally stumbled across them and learned that there are not native to the U.S.; but rather Asia.. All the trees i've found in southern Indiana are pretty young. If you ever come across one, there EASILY recognizable by there cup which is very prickly, alot like the bur oak only the spines cover the entire cup. So im wondering.. Has anyone else come across these and noticed deer really being attracted to them? I'm wondering if this is going to be a bigtime foodsource in my area. Heres a link to them some info of them http://www.audubonguides.com/species/Sawtooth%20Oak.html
Might be something to keep an eye out for, they must be spreading fast since theyve reached Indiana
One does not hunt in order to kill, but one kills in order to have hunted.

danesdad

RE: Sawtooth Oak?

Postby danesdad » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:14 pm

I think their appeal to folks looking to plant mast producing trees for the benefit of wildlife is that they dont take as long to begin producing acorns as most oak varieties.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

SHKYBoonie

Postby SHKYBoonie » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:09 am

If you should run across a sawtooth oak tree while scouting, make note of it because the deer will be there when they fall! I had hunted these trees for years in MS and we actually planted a few. They do bear mast pretty fast and they are supper attractive to deer. The shells aren't very thick on most and the nut is very big. The deer get alot more nutrients in a shorter period of time. I have actually seen deer bed down under these trees and wait for one to fall. When an acorn would fall the deer would get up and run to it. If you have them and know where they are, then you have an "ace in the hole" in the fall.

svr21

Postby svr21 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:26 pm

Here are more than 17 but, maybe you can use more than 17.

THIS IS THE WEBSITE!!! I would show you them all but there is just to much!! SORRY!! It also tells you more about them like they're native to and the SCENTIFIC name!!

Funeral Insurance|Funeral Cover

trick tirgger

Postby trick tirgger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:50 am

do deer eat white swamp oaks like they do white oaks?

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:42 pm

I was at the wal mart in cookeville tn and they have those saw tooth oaks in their parking lot islands .And those trees were loaded with acorns. I though i would get some young trees.
But did not know if the deer would like them or not. I have a place in the hunting area where there are wide spread red oaks and very few white oaks so think ill plant some this fall.
thanks bluegrass for the good tip , maybe you can set up a game camera so we can see some pics.
Jim
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:43 am

Jim, why don't you gather up some of those acorns from the wal-mart lot and go around where you hunt and start sticking them in the ground an inch or so in depth will do. Or put some in plant pots and start your own trees. That would be a good start.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:53 am

thanks charlie . thats a good idea ,should i get the ones off the ground or if i pick em off the tree. or do they have to fall first?
Jim

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:16 pm

I have picked them off the ground, but I would think as long as they are starting to fall, they would be alright to take off the tree. Which ever is easiest. If you see any with a small hole in the shell about the size of a pin head, don't bother with it. There is either a worm in it or he has already eaten the nut. If you plant them in pots around the house, better put them in squirrel proof cages. One year I had some started in pots. They got to be about 10 inchs to a foot, the squirrels dug them out for the nut. I'm not sure which, of the ones I shot, did the deed. I start them in the house, and keep them there till it's time to plant. Sometimes if I find them plentiful, I'll gather up a bunch to put later, in areas that I hunt. 
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:13 pm

thanks charlie ,im going to town this weekend and i get a load, and pot them up , i dont have many tree rats thats what i call um, around the house. i cant hardley keep my feeders working because of them they even chew holes in top of them , wish they made rat poison that looked at smelled like a corncob!

Next

Return to Deer Browse