Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Greg Mauser

Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

Postby Greg Mauser » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:04 am

The video DDH posted in their blog of a sniper making a 950-yard shot on a deer is pretty impressive. But I'm not so sure a disclaimer is needed. The shooter was a pro, and was shooting within their personal limits. Most hunters who hunt out West are hunting in situations where long 200+ yard shots are common...but many hunters aren't trained to be taking those shots. Isn't the real issue here a matter of personal ability/training?

Regardless, this is something to see! Click here

scotman

RE: Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

Postby scotman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:25 am

If you can put it in a lung size area at 950 yards every single time like snipers get trained to do then yes they are those rare cases. Though even then, there is so much to calculate and compensate for, is it really worth wounding the deer? But for the majority of the hunting population, it's just not so that they can effectively shoot at 950 yards. But a impressive shot nonetheless.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:03 pm

If it can be seen, it can be shot.
But to me that was just a kill. Nothing more.

The video seemed real, it was a very long shot, impressive yes, something I agree should never be attempted by a "hunter" for fear of wounding an animal...even if you, like him where trained and have a spotter to calculate the distance, wind, bullet drop etc.,

That was not sporting at all, and maybe some of you  may disagree but even at distances of 200 yards or so I feel a shot taken at game is too far.
Its challenging for me to be out there hunting, attempting to get CLOSE to an animal for a good shot , whether its with a bow, (20-30 yards or so) or with a gun, (100 yards or less). Maybe its just me, but thats how I prefer to hunt. Even if I hunted other areas where a long shot was possible (200-400yards) I do not believe I would take such a shot.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:59 pm

personaly i find extreme pride and honor in having men like this protecting us and our way of life.while i would nevr condone a shot like that by anyone with skills any less than this gentleman, i cant fault him for taking a shot like that, that's his job, one that may cost him his life as well as the lives others if not done properly.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:36 pm

Shadow is right... That's a kill, but it certainly isn't a HUNT. Marine snipers practice all the time from the 1000 yard line... It's cool, but not a hunt.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:36 pm

I dont see how this is not a hunt.  When you shoot a deer at 50 yards, are you going to get a quality shot if the animal is aware of your presence?  I doubt it.  The longer distance just makes it less likely that the deer will know you are there.  If you have the proper equipment, firearm and training for such a shot, I dont see the problem.  It's not the kind of shot the average shooter should take, but these guys are not average.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:44 am

ORIGINAL: danesdad

I dont see how this is not a hunt.  When you shoot a deer at 50 yards, are you going to get a quality shot if the animal is aware of your presence?  I doubt it.  The longer distance just makes it less likely that the deer will know you are there.  If you have the proper equipment, firearm and training for such a shot, I dont see the problem.  It's not the kind of shot the average shooter should take, but these guys are not average.

i agree with you danesdad

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:00 am

I belive 950 yard kill shots on deer is not hunting in my book.  The video section on this website has a vid on sharpshooters and what the state dnr's are doing to reduce the deer herds.  I personaly do not think they should be allowed to shoot deer like this when, we have millions of hunters that would be willing to hunt the deer the ethical way. Personaly.       I think sharpshooters make hunters look bad in the public's view, because it's not a fair chase harvest.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:40 pm

is this a hunt? i would suppose that depends on who you are asking. what is a hunt? is it just the clean, humane taking of game? does it have to be done a certain way? which is more ethical , a 200 rifle shot or a 20 yard bow kill? what about baiting? hounds? crossbows in archery season? modern day 200+ yard muzzleloaders that can use smokeless powder ?
is this a "hunt" in the most understood sense? no i dont think so. i too would much rather see opportunities opened to hunters over sharp shooters.  
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:36 pm

Different forms of hunting such as baiting, deer drives, etc.. if legal in your state and you decide to participate are all great, however taking a snipers shot at game, at 1/2 mile even if trained for it should not be done, and I guess probably should be illegal.

Granted the snipers of our military are the best, I also am proud to have them working for us but it is irresponsible to shoot an animal at those distances.

Do you think that these guys where even hunters? And at that distance and with the terrain did they even bother to retrieve the deer or was this just target practice on a live animal?

To me, even if your able to shoot at long distances succesfully, there can always be the one time where the bullet does not hit what it was intended for injuring and causing the deer to wander off, suffer then die and never be found.

I just feel that hunting is about being in the woods in close proximity to the game your after, and taking the shot from there.

Next

Return to General Discussions