Sunflowers

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
kbdeerdown

Sunflowers

Postby kbdeerdown » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:10 pm

Anyone else ever plant sunflowers for deer? We planted some this spring with soybeans thinking they could take some pressure off the beans, leave some cover and offer some browse. It didn't quite work out that way! We planted feed grade black oil sunflower seeds rather thick thinking germination rate wouldn't be that great ... wow was that ever not the case! It more or less ended up being an all sunflower plot, but it has honestly been an absolutely incredible. The deer loved eating them - from emergence right to the end. It seems they really like to strip the leaves and eat some of the tender stock and they devoured the actual sunflower heads. It has been an excellent food source for them basically all summer long. I have been completely impressed with this and thought I would share this with others as an option for planting. Very cheap seed and good deer attraction in my opinion. Not the best for hunting over (at least not where I am) but it sure keeps them well fed. Anyhow hope to hear others experience / feedback. Here are some pics of the plot through the season. Oh yeah - lots of bees and birds in there too of course!

msbadger

RE: Sunflowers

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:28 am

First ...Sorry you lost the beans....and what great looking plots ...congrats..

Yes I tried my own version of "power Plant"....hmmm....They never let it get above 5 in.....to say the sunflowers were a hit is an under statement....but I was thinking of going with a corn sun flower mix for cover and food next year

kbdeerdown

Postby kbdeerdown » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks ... I think corn and sunflower would make a great cover / food plot. A little bit of early and late food source as well.

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:47 am

A few years ago we planted ladino clover, turnips, and dwarf sunflowers. It was a great! The deer loved the whole thing and devoured the sunflower heads. I passed up a 3 year old buck out of it and my brother shot a nice doe out of it while she had a sunflower head in her mouth. The dwarf sunflowers are interesting because they aren't supposed to grow as tall and the extra energy goes into there heads, I bought them from our elevator when they used to carry some food plot seed. They don't carry it anymore and I've been having a hard time finding them.

Cgull

Postby Cgull » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:58 am

works to pull in the quail and dove also.
we should insist the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn`t an American at all

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements