Help ME.

Describe the most puzzling blood trail you've ever been on.
Araslanger92

Help ME.

Postby Araslanger92 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:59 am

I was out this morning hunting with my bow, and i have never killed a deer with my bow. An 8 pt came out around 9 and i poped him with what i thought was a cleen shot. I was using the new blood runner broad heads with my mathews legacy . As soon as i hit him he ran off out of site. I was for sure that he was dead out in the field and it wouldnt be long. I waited 30 min amd then began to trail him. There were loads of blood and i thought he would be dead around every corner but nothing. About a 150 yds down in a dried out creek bottom i jumped his ass..he took off and i cant find any more blood. I know i broke the number one rule of hunting, dont push the deer, but how do i find him?

Araslanger92

RE: Help ME.

Postby Araslanger92 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:14 am

7 or 8 pt

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Sorry no one responded to you sooner, and I'm sorry about your luck. I hope you found the deer, and if not, this reply is way too late, but I'll talk about it in hopes that it will help you in the future, should this ever happen again. I'm not sure how much you know, so if I'm telling you things you already know, I apologize. First, you can tell a lot about the hit based on the blood you find. If it was bright red, almost pink, and has bubbles in it, that indicates a lung shot most of the time. There are other places you can hit a deer that cause bubbles in the blood however. Darker blood usually indicates a muscle, liver, or gut shot deer. The first thing I do when I am not sure of my shot is smell my arrow if it is present. An arrow that entered the guts will smell. I highly recommend the Vital Information DVD for sale by Deer and Deer Hunting. There is a wealth of information on blood, hair, and anatomy, and how it relates to shot placement on deer and how to proceed with tracking. My guess on your situation is that either the shot was farther back than you thought, but more likely that your shot was where you thought, but you only got one lung. A one lung deer in my opinion is the hardest deer to find for two reasons. First, most people think they made a great shot and start tracking too early, and inevitably bump the deer. Second, a single lung hit deer can go a long distance before dying. The deer you shot was obviously bedding down because it was hurt. It was in an area it felt safe. Your best option would be to go to the next place you feel the deer would bed down in the direction it ran after you bumped it. Also, sometimes they make a big circle because they do not want to flee too far from where they feel safe. You may want to comb through that creek bottom again. Hope this helps, if not now, then in the future.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 pm

How did the rest of the trailing go...Any luck?  Either way, not knowing where a deer went after you shot him is a heart-breaking feeling.  Most of us have been there.  Keep your head up and learn from your experiences. 

I would agree with the Vital Information CD.  I have it and it has a ton of great info on it.  Worth it! 

Best of luck!
QDM!

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:31 pm

ORIGINAL: Araslanger92

I was out this morning hunting with my bow, and i have never killed a deer with my bow. An 8 pt came out around 9 and i poped him with what i thought was a cleen shot. I was using the new blood runner broad heads with my mathews legacy . As soon as i hit him he ran off out of site. I was for sure that he was dead out in the field and it wouldnt be long. I waited 30 min amd then began to trail him. There were loads of blood and i thought he would be dead around every corner but nothing. About a 150 yds down in a dried out creek bottom i jumped his ass..he took off and i cant find any more blood. I know i broke the number one rule of hunting, dont push the deer, but how do i find him?

30 minutes is plenty of time ... if he ain't dead after 30 minutes ... well, it just wasn't a killing shot ... if he could run after 30 minutes he could be in the next county ... practice, practice, practice & keep calm before your next shot ... you're not the 1st nor will you be the last hunter to lose a deer. BTW: I would strongly recommend a deer profile vs. a bullseye target.

lawdog

Postby lawdog » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:34 pm

dont give up. i dont agree with "mightyfofaad" at all! my family and i have taken a lot of deer with the bow and it was rare that i wasnt there to track. i have a ton of experience, but will NEVER claim to be an expert. first off, you did nothing wrong; dont second guess yourself. you thought it was a good shot and you decided to track. been there; done that. i would guess your situation is one of two things: 1-the deer was angled slightly toward you and you just didnt realize it, no matter how certain you may be that it was broadside. so, you may have hit the nearside lung and exited through the 'guts'. we recovered a doe i hit this way after 5 hours after the shot - STILL ALIVE. 2-(this i believe is more likely in your situation) you have a one-lunger. single lung shots bleed like crazy, but will generally die about 150 yds later, but may take an hour or two to die. note; i said generally. i once arrowed a 140" 8pt and thought it was a perfect hit - lots of blood for about 100 yds. one area about 10x10 feet had so much blood in it i thought he'd be lying nearby; you couldnt place your hand flat without touching blood, but no beast. i wanted to let it go after 80 yards, but my family pushed me to keep going. we thought we heard movement later, so we backed out. the next day, we found two more drops after the pooled area. never recovered him; made me sick. go back and look again, and again, and again. i have heard of guys who recovered their trophy several days later. "hunt4fun" was right on when he stated, ""The deer you shot was obviously bedding down because it was hurt. It was in an area it felt safe. Your best option would be to go to the next place you feel the deer would bed down in the direction it ran after you bumped it. Also, sometimes they make a big circle because they do not want to flee too far from where they feel safe. You may want to comb through that creek bottom again."" thats great advice. go to the last blood; look back to where he came from; draw a line ahead following the same line he came from. get on your knees looking for blood; turn some leaves over and check the undersides. sounds crazy i know, but its worked for us on occassion. soooo, push yourself HARD in your search. i mean it. look for that deer until you think you think you may not be able to walk abck to your house/farm/vehicle. two main results will come of your solid search efforts. you may find him or will at least know you did everything you could have. another plus... i looked hard for the buck i meantioned above, and while doing so, i came across a large hoof print in a creek bottom and decided to be there on monday of rifle season, after everyone went back to work and the buck would be trying to sneak back home. wouldnt you know it; i killed a dandy 8pt at first light - crossing the exact path where i found the track. sweet reward for my efforts.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:39 pm

ORIGINAL: lawdog

i dont agree with "mightyfofaad" at all!

Just out of curiosity, which of my 3 points did you not agree with?

#1 that 30 minutes is a sufficient period of time to start your search, or, #2 where I surmised that a deer that was able to get up & run more than 30 minutes after being shot ... was not hit with a killing shot, or, #3 where I said Araslanger92 (or anyone else) might improve their shooting skills with regular practice.

Hmmm?
[:)]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Well here's another point that some won't like.

You said you were using the NAP Blood Runner. That's a mechanical head.

Was the arrow retrieved? And if it was, did the head open right? If you did find it and it opened then that's one less thing to consider. If you didn't find it, then this is another factor in the equation. Truth is, unless you have the arrow in hand, you DON'T know.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

lawdog

Postby lawdog » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:14 pm

mightyfofaad

the point a dont agree with is...

""#2 where I surmised that a deer that was able to get up & run more than 30 minutes after being shot ... was not hit with a killing shot""

maybe you meant that it isnt a "vital" hit instead of "fatal". i say that because we all know how long a paunch shot deer can live before dying (well over 30 monutes), and though it will die, it isnt hit in the vitally.

in addition, i've used bloodrunners. they're decent heads. theyre fixed blades heads that expand by piston force. its a great concept. i just quit using them because i couldnt get them to fly well.

so, where's our update? was the deer recovered?

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:34 pm

ORIGINAL: lawdog

mightyfofaad

the point a dont agree with is...

""#2 where I surmised that a deer that was able to get up & run more than 30 minutes after being shot ... was not hit with a killing shot""

maybe you meant that it isnt a "vital" hit instead of "fatal". i say that because we all know how long a paunch shot deer can live before dying (well over 30 monutes), and though it will die, it isnt hit in the vitally.

in addition, i've used bloodrunners. they're decent heads. theyre fixed blades heads that expand by piston force. its a great concept. i just quit using them because i couldnt get them to fly well.

so, where's our update? was the deer recovered?

I meant EXACTLY what I said. Maybe I'm old school & some hunters feel differently today ... but hunters from my generation expect to deliver a killing shot that will drop an animal in it's tracks. Some may travel a few feet, but they're dead when hit or we don't pull the trigger.

With an arrow a deer might travel up to 100 yards before collapsing, but that's it, it's still a killing shot. Now I'm not saying Araslanger didn't have a killing shot in his sights, but he didn't deliver one. What he did was badly wound the animal. Gust of wind ... the deer moved ... whatever.

Maybe that's good enough for you. You seem to feel as long as the wound was eventually fatal ... the deer eventually bled to death over the next 3 to 72 hours, or died of infection ... it was "fatal" & that's good enough. Well, you could put an arrow in the deer's mouth & wait 10 days until it starves to death & YOU would of course call that a fatal shot ... yes it was fatal but not what I would call a killing shot.

And what I find even more amusing is the fact that you say, "Don't give up, keep looking for it." What are you going to do when you find it 3 days later ... eat it? Hey, we're all entitled to set up our own standards. If you're happy delivering "Fatal" shots ... good for you.

Next

Return to Blood Trailing