Central Texas Rut Prediction?

Mac

Central Texas Rut Prediction?

Postby Mac » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi, long time viewer, first time posting...

On D&DH TV they never really discuse the southern region. I've seen them predict the rut for the northern states when all I want to hear about is the Big Ol' whitetail capital of the world, Texas. I was wondering what methods you guys use to mark your calenders and set your vacation slots for the Central Texas RUT. For the past 4 or 5 years I've noticed the rut going into lock down around thanksgiving. Where the seeking and chasing was 1 to 2 weeks prior to. I'm a little curious coming in to the season this year due to the weather being crazy for this time of year. I can't remember the last time I wasn't sweating my butt off on the opening day of bow season. I'm looking forward to what hopefully looks like a cold winter!!!
It short, how do you guys determine when the rut will be in full swing? My prediction for Central TX is Nov. 7th thru the 20th.......

gibson2403

RE: Central Texas Rut Prediction?

Postby gibson2403 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:17 am

Mac, agree that D&DH prediction for Rut in Texas was not there.  They might have just said, we're clueless.  D&DH wizards seem to focus mainly on the North country.  TPWD Rut info on their web site would support your prediction.  Based on weather forecast for Brown County looks like the night temps will be in 50ties and day in 80ties for Archery opening day.  If that forecast is good, maybe we can have decent morning and evening hunts.  Last month lots of buck activity the morning after the full moon.  Be interesting to see what it'll be for this mo.  Let's hope thos critters don't go nocturnal during the Rut.  Good hunting!!
texmel

Mac

Postby Mac » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:42 am

That was last years post...
I didn't even see a rut last year?
It was a pretty crazy season.
My ratio was way out of wack tho-
We got on a new lease and the ratio was like 5:1 doe to buck. I'm sure that may have had a lot to do with it.
So that all me dad and I took where doe.
We are also over run by the piggies.
Hopefuly we'll get to see a little bit better rut this year.
I hope!
I have a couple of bruisers running around that I caught on camera but haven't seen in person.
I wasn't aware of the TPWD rut prediction...
I've seen their website I guess I missed that part.
Can you shoot me that link.
Good luck this year, and welcome to the forum.
The Texas forum is always dead. Not to many Texas folk on here...
Most of the active threads are in the general discussion forum.
A lot of cool guys on there. You aught to check it out.
Quote: "Real men hunt with fly swatters!" - me... lol

Ric

Postby Ric » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:40 am

yea your sho write there mac last years rut was imposable to patern the only action i saw was the first weekend of december after  hard freez bucks seem to be fighting all day i herd grunting and stomping horns rackin back deep in the woods.i rattled grunted but never got a buck to come in.i have found it though that code blue standing estrus does bring in a buck even when the rut is late or isnt realy all that hot.i take it your a tinks man and the standing estrus is a little pricey but its worth it beleave me.i had a buck pick up my tinks bomb full of it and shake his head and splashed it all over his face never seen that in my life so id say it works seems like the stuff makes them throw caution to the wind and get down write stupid...i had been siting all day and needed a cigerette bad i put it off long enuff i had just lit one up and thought after this ill just go in i knew id alert all the deer if any were @.but i set there give it a few more mins half way through it the deer walked out played with it like he was a kitten with a ball of yarn and never looked my way so you be the judge..

doe assassin

Postby doe assassin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:54 am

Mac i feel your pain about alomst everything you said..... Getting overran by pigs, doe to buck ratio was like 6:1 on our place.... it indeed was a crazy season last year.... with all that said in the hill country of brady tx our rut hit hard and out of no where during thangsgiving break... we saw i think it was 6 different bucks we didint even have on camera.... so i think your prediction is good as any....
I do my grocery shopping in the woods.

spike slayer

Re: Central Texas Rut Prediction?

Postby spike slayer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:42 pm

i agree mac last year the rut just wasnt happening for me also in east texas but last year seem to me to be the coldest iv seen to date.but this year i think we will hav a biger problem sence all we have seen is the largest drout weve ever seen my woods in east texas burned up in trinity county and sence no rain fall and what i think will be another colder winter with little rain fall its gona be bad.read a little on what the drout is doing @ texas and the deer seem to be dieing in the town that i was hunting in all there seeing is does and fawns no idea why.but i read that in south texas just one ranch had @ 20 to 30 deer die off from the drout and heat this summer.i know i seemed to get off subject but i think this year is going to be a even harder hunt and the rut my not kick off but i could be wrong it seems to me that the deer have been under alot of stress this year and mabie we wont see much in the way of antler growth..my advice to us in texas stick to any watering hole you can find

Return to Texas