food plot

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
fave

RE: food plot

Postby fave » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks Jim, It has been a bit challenging. Our biggest problem has been water. This year we broke some records and the plots look great. A lot of potash hits the ground when I listen to my soil tests. Clover grows but dries right up if we don't get rain. I have killed the top grasses and then just ruffed the soil for the clover seed. the grasses help hold the moisture. I figure if I do this for 25 years I will have built up sufficient topsoil. Last year the farmer that I lease my open land to planted soy beans. I had at least ten hit list bucks on the property above 130 inches. Amazing! This year no beans and guess what? One buck at maybe 125 and a bunch of dinks. A farmer planted 200 acres in beans 1.5 miles south of me. I shined his property and found the big bucks. I met with my farmer two days ago to work something out. He said that he can plant soybeans, somewhere on my farm every year. It's all been part of the process, you know the whole land management and QDM thing. Great fun and keeps me sane because I have to be talking about, working on projects, going to shows and/or hunting whitetail 360. I sometimes think it's a curse but my wife admires my dedication and still loves me.

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:50 am

Fave we too have had water problems check these pics this was a house and a bridge.

take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

fave

Postby fave » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Holy crap Jim, We had record rain here but being in sand country, it made for tropical growing conditions. The best I've ever seen. The folks around us in heavy soil, well they got a good dose of root rot and stunted crops. My food plot corn topped 10 feet with most being over 9. I did see an SUV down in Milwaukee go in to one of those big sink holes like the one in your picture. I bet he thought he was on his way to hell when that ground gave out. I hope that guy in your picture is on the side of the big buck. He might as well just go hunting. We got another 2.5 inches yesterday. My oats with rape look like an unmowed golf course...it's awesome! Take care

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:48 am

Yikes! It rained 22 inches in the eastern part of the state last week and about 8 here. It was the first rain to ammount to anything we'd had since late July. We planted ladino clover in small plots all around the lease. This is the third time planting the plots. Logging destroyed them a few years ago and weeds choked them out before that.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management