Old School Pics

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
mightyfofaad

RE: Old School Pics

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:20 am

That's a winner! [:)]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:20 pm

ORIGINAL: schlupis

All great pics guys. Love the oldies.

WW that is one hell of a buck atleast give a short story of the hunt. What does that beauty score?

Not much to tell, it was the second year I'd hunted from that stand, and the fourth year on that farm. It was opening day of gun season, and he came from another hollow on the other side of the farm. What made this stand site a good one, was that it was the "hub" of that farm, and although you didn't see all that much sign by it, if ANYTHING got pushed, it would cross within 100 yards of that site because of the terrain. Eventually they logged part of the farm and that site wasn't as good, so I moved about 80 yards, and killed 15 more deer on that farm, many of them nice bucks, all within 100 yards of where I shot that one. It was all about the terrain, and how the deer used it when pushed.

I killed that deer with a scoped Remington 1100, that shot Brennake slugs. The shot was about 65 yards as he was walking. He ran about 40 yards over the ridge, and then fell dead as he was double lunged.

His raw score was 171 1/8's typical, but because he had an 11th point, it knocked him down to 168 5/8's. What amazes me to this day about him, is the size of the brow tines! I'm looking at him as I write this, as he definately was/is one for the wall!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:50 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

ORIGINAL: schlupis

All great pics guys. Love the oldies.

WW that is one hell of a buck atleast give a short story of the hunt. What does that beauty score?

Not much to tell, it was the second year I'd hunted from that stand, and the fourth year on that farm. It was opening day of gun season, and he came from another hollow on the other side of the farm. What made this stand site a good one, was that it was the "hub" of that farm, and although you didn't see all that much sign by it, if ANYTHING got pushed, it would cross within 100 yards of that site because of the terrain. Eventually they logged part of the farm and that site wasn't as good, so I moved about 80 yards, and killed 15 more deer on that farm, many of them nice bucks, all within 100 yards of where I shot that one. It was all about the terrain, and how the deer used it when pushed.

I killed that deer with a scoped Remington 1100, that shot Brennake slugs. The shot was about 65 yards as he was walking. He ran about 40 yards over the ridge, and then fell dead as he was double lunged.

His raw score was 171 1/8's typical, but because he had an 11th point, it knocked him down to 168 5/8's. What amazes me to this day about him, is the size of the brow tines! I'm looking at him as I write this, as he definately was/is one for the wall!!!!

Thanks for the story I need to find a stand like that. LOL. You are right he does have great brows. That is one of the things I like the most in any deer. I have passed up good bucks because the lacked browtines. Again Great buck.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:38 am

I've been working in Berlin, WI since the 7th of December. I still live in Indiana but my consulting services have to go where the work is needed. I visited my daughter Liz in Appleton last week and she gave me a photo album of mine that I thought I'd lost long ago. I thought perhaps several of the pictures needed to get posted here. Hunting in Iola,WI (camper.melano red fox,deer) and bowfishing on the Bark River with my old Howatt and Mac's shoot through reel. Also my gun rack of 45 years ago was a little scant. The bottom gun is an 1884 Vetterli Vitale in 6.5 mm. I later traded it for a lab puppy.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:42 am

Oops

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:28 am

I found this old Christmas card in a photo box in my mom's basement. It's my mom's Aunt Liz and her husband Carl out in Denver CO. Unless I miss my guess, that's a nice muley buck on the roof of that old car. That sounds like something I'd do.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:15 am

I love seeing those old photos ... the way people dressed, the cars, the homes ... it wasn't really that long ago & yet that period & the people were so far removed from the way it is today, it seems like it could have been a 1000 years ago ... too bad.

Lscha

Postby Lscha » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Here's one. 1979. I'm old!!! Image
Laura
Vixen II
Ruger SBH Magnaport Stalker
Ruger .243
Baretta Silver Snipe
http://michigancrossbowfederation.org
http://www.crossbownation.com/forum2/

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Im not as old as alot of you guys lol but they bring back very good memories!

Lscha welcome to D&DH look like you got him in the neck with a over and under lol how close you were you to him when you unloaded ?

Lscha

Postby Lscha » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:23 am

Thanks for the welcome. This deer was about 50 yards away coming over a ridge while I was sitting behind a tree stump freezing. First I saw the antlers, then the neck and have been taking neck shots mostly, ever since. I usually hunt alone and don't want to track them. My gun hunting is all handgun now.
Laura
Vixen II
Ruger SBH Magnaport Stalker
Ruger .243
Baretta Silver Snipe
http://michigancrossbowfederation.org
http://www.crossbownation.com/forum2/

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Corner