A trick my father taught me!

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Walking Crow

A trick my father taught me!

Postby Walking Crow » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:34 pm

I told this little trick my father taught me to a young hunter today. Years ago before portable stands and the new ladder stands and when stands were bulit out of 2x4's and plywood. My father had a stand on and old logging trail thru the woods. A well used deer trail would empty onto it. But the deer would go the oposite way from him in the other direction down the trail. Frustraited by this he came up with a plan. The next day he left a little earlier. He brought with him a dirty smelly shirt from the laudry. He walk down the trail where the deer were going everyday and hung it in a bush. He went back to his stand and waited. Latter that morning  a buck came out onto the trail and turned down the trail away from him as expected. The deer went a little ways down caught wind of the shirt and turned around and followed the trail back past my father. He tagged his buck that day. This is a true story. One of my many fond memories of my Dad.

Walking Crow

badtoys

RE: A trick my father taught me!

Postby badtoys » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:38 pm

cool good idea
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:28 am

Sounds like a great idea Walking Crow...Thanks for passing it on to us!

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:20 pm

Many years ago when I was a youngster, my father (an avid hunter) was helping me build a ground blind for the opening day of shotgun season. When his morning coffee hit his bowels, he decided to go 100 yards or so up wind to relieve himself. It didn't work out that year (that I know of) but same premise as your fathers shirt.
Glad to hear that it worked out for him.

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:44 pm

don't think that had anything to do with it i've been taking a dump and had a nice buck walk out 20yrds away with his nose up smelling needless to say my gun was 20ft away from me and could not reach it i learned that day never leave your weapon away from you no matter what you doing  he just stroled away never seeing me

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

Many years ago when I was a youngster, my father (an avid hunter) was helping me build a ground blind for the opening day of shotgun season. When his morning coffee hit his bowels, he decided to go 100 yards or so up wind to relieve himself. It didn't work out that year (that I know of) but same premise as your fathers shirt.
Glad to hear that it worked out for him.
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:07 pm

Good Idea....something I have done in the past is make a life size cut out  and sprayed it camo orange...I then took the card board cut out and bent it to a seated position in my stand and tied the head and waist to the tree.....Everyone around here and there are many ...are tree hunters....the deer would walk past that cut out and look up but pay no attention after awhile...for the ones that did not like it...well they didn't seem to be bothered enough not to change directions and walk toward the other orange blob in the tree...me......It also helped with the trespassers....if they were a ways off and saw orange...they'd think twice....I put one one the ground to get the deer to move toward me instead of the cut out...forgot it and a couple of days later ...it startled me when I went in for an afternoon hunt ...lol 

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:22 am

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:33 am

Badtoys...with 36 or so yrs of hunting under my belt ...I know this...thanks...very good links  though[;)]

The purpose was the added shape in the tree and the fact that even with tying them down the wind ...and believe me it's windy in our hills...would cause some limited movement...I don't know about most ppl but I can't stay still for ever and the big boys scan areas from a distance...many a nice deer in anyone's  woods can stroll through undetected because of this....The painting hunter orange helps with the trespassing but also the color or rather I should say shading difference between trunk...stand and new odd shape...I know it's said they have a limited recall but being in the woods daily and observation made....our deer seem to have a pretty good recall both sight/sound and smell. Deer here look up all the time...some thing new in a stand during a time when all of a sudden their home is picking up a lot of traffic can change their movement....have those in place well before helps

Return to Best Practices