scent block

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
bckklr

scent block

Postby bckklr » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:54 pm

well whats ya'lls opinions does scent block clothing make that much of a difference & what about the spray? i wear the clothes & dang near drink the spray what about ya'll?
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Robert Rowland

RE: scent block

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:01 pm

I have never heard of anyone doing too much for scent cover.  In order to keep my hunting budget under control, I also use the spray and I think it works well combined with the soap, the gum, and other scents.

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:19 pm

me either rob i'm a scent controll freak i never wear my clothes boots or anything before i get to the woods i sack up all my clothes in those giant ziplocs & change beside the truck even if its freezin outside straight down to my long johns i shower 3/4 times a day in deer season & i've been known to wash the camo out of my clothes i hunt in the morning i wash my clothes i hunt the eve & then repeat of coarse i use sports wash & like i said i dang near drink scent killer i wish i could buy a 55 gal drum of the stuff i'm a scent freak i mean u cant hunt in my woods with me if your not trying to control your scent thats just one of my requirements scent controll is a must at my house but the wife does [email=b#@%]b#@%[/email]! & gripe about it some in deer season but she'll be alright when the backstraps are hangin' on the meat pole outback            ken
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:51 pm

As far as the wife moaning and groaning---that would take a whole other website and more time than I have to get it all off my chest.
I agree with everything you said about scent control. I do the same stuff, but I also recall when I was young and hunting without any scent control, nobody to teach me hunting, and little knowledge of deer behavior, I still had pretty good luck. But that is just what it was, LUCK.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Im in the group too.i also make my own scent killer spray that works well
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:11 am

3 days before season I start bathing in scent killer and use it right up to christmas...clothes are all washed special and often then left to hang outside in a dry breezy area....I do soak a bandana with essence of fall and dry clothes with that....eat less meat and drink more apple juice..stay clear of garlic and onions for all the scent killer in the world won't keep those to from sweating out of me [&:]....cover scent...I walk through my goats paddock to pick up the smell of there urine....I've wachted deer come in on my trail like blood hounds on a scent....walk through fresh deer piles when I see them as well..then walk a circle round my stand through the shooting lanes.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:13 am

Wash the clothes.
Briefly in the dryer, but then outside to finish.
Rubber boots.
Bathe the body good no scented soaps or anything.

I always wonder about our breath though. Pine flavored gum? Chew on some pine needles in the stand?

I can't warrant the cost for scent blocker clothing. Just the spray for me.

Oh and if only the darn city would allow me to have a goat pen in my backyard [8D]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:57 am

eat apples for your breath i peel em first and save the peels.i here chewing parsley also works,never tried it
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:43 am

I bathe every moring before I hunt, and if I come back to camp and cook anything, I remove my outerware, and I wash my hair and head before I go back out.

I keep all my outerware clean, and in a Rubbermaid sealable tub that I have a cachet bag of hardwood leaf duff in. My clothes smell like an October woods.

My hunting footgear is worn ONLY when I'm in the field, and I don't put my boots on until I step out of my truck, and they come off before I get back in.

I also take chlorophyll tablets starting about a month before the season starts, and then throughout the season. I have ground hunted exclusively for the past 5 years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been "busted" over the past 30 years.

I do not own, and have no intention of owning carbon suits, as I believe they are an expensive "gimmick", that while maybe giving a hunter a sense of confidence (which is a GOOD thing), are NOT what they are promoted as. The fact that the fabric that they use is somewhat impervious probably has more real effect on how they work anyway.

I have MANY other ways of spending several hundred dollars!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

scotman

Postby scotman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:23 pm

I have used the soap and laundry setergent but never bought the spray. Think I might try it this year. I also put my hunting clothes in a blag plastic bag and put them outside with apples or fresh leaves and dirt at the bottom. The best cover scent I have used and its free.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

Next

Return to General Discussions