Hunting on bicycle

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Everyday Hunter

Hunting on bicycle

Postby Everyday Hunter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:43 am

I just got a Trek 930 bicycle from a friend of mine. Mostly it's to ride instead of running to save on my knees, but it's a mountain bike and I thought it might come in handy for hunting. He told me to try it our for a few weeks, so that's what I'm doing. I'll probably give him $100 for it. I've seen them advertised online for anywhere from $125 to $250. Seems to me that's a pretty good deal (although I know once in a while someone stumbles on one at a garage sale for $25-$50.) 

Do any of you guys (or ladies) use a bike? What tips would you give? What advantages and disadvantages does it have? Any thoughts, comments or experiences you've had using a bike while hunting are welcome.

Thanks.
Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

4khorn

RE: Hunting on bicycle

Postby 4khorn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:36 pm

Using a bicycle to get to and from stands is something that I have often considered trying. I have been trying to get permission to hunt from a landowner that I have worked for from time to time. He has made walking trails and other grass lanes to drive on throughout the property. If he ever lets me hunt there, I will definately be using a mountain bike to get around. I think it would be less intrusive than walking and may help with scent too. As Everyday Hunter asked, if anyone has any experience using a bike, I would love to hear how it has worked out for you.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

OSU bucks

Postby OSU bucks » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Great idea, I have never rode a bike to my hunting area mostly due to the fact that it was 13 miles one way, but now that I hunt less than a half mile from home its do-able. Nobody would be able to wipe the smile from my face while peddling home on st. rte 118 with big ol buck strapped to the handle bars !! But seriously packing your eqiupment while ridding may be the biggest challenge, one must also consider working up a sweat on the ride in. No matter, it would be worth effort.

Good luck this season!!

bakabob

Postby bakabob » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:18 am

I have used a bike to get to my stand. If you have a reasonable path or logging road or such to ride on while gong to your stand it works fairly well. It is faster and takes less energy than walking and I believe it leaves less scent . There are some disadvantages though. Totting all your equipment and a gun does make riding a bike a little difficult. I tried using a sling for the gun but didn't like that so I made a rack for the gun across the handle bars and that worked fairly well. I used a large basket over the back wheel for the rest of my junk. Everything you add though makes balancing a little harder. I also tried pulling a small trailer behind the bike and that worked best for me. I made the trailer using an old set of bike wheels. I even transported my climber that way. Riding in the dark is risky as it is hard to dodge the sticks and stones and such that can throw you. A good headlight is a must.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:11 am

its wayyyyy faster than walking but requires a lot more cardio, your legs better have some serious stamina too if your going more than a couple miles.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:34 pm

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

I just got a Trek 930 bicycle from a friend of mine. Mostly it's to ride instead of running to save on my knees, but it's a mountain bike and I thought it might come in handy for hunting. Do any of you guys (or ladies) use a bike? What tips would you give? What advantages and disadvantages does it have? Any thoughts, comments or experiences you've had using a bike while hunting are welcome.

You won't be the first. [:)]

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:59 pm

Used one last year to do some speed scouting.  Lost hunting rights to my usual spot and was forced to go the public land route on short notice.

Pros:
1. Quick easy way to cover a couple hundred acres quickly
2. Quiet...I crept up on a few unsuspecting deer rather quickly..scared the biscuits outta both of us, lol!
3. Portable..throw it in your truck, SUV, bike rack and go
4.  Gets you to those deep spots no one else wants to walk into
5.  Most parks and public lands will allow you to use a bike

Con's
1. You'll more than likely sweat...i always did
2. Need a special rack (ATV type) if you want to pack in your bow or something bigger than a strap on climber
3. Need to lock it up when you get to your spot
4.  Some public lands and parks won't allow you to use them

When all was said and done I found it was great (for me) to use it just to scout large areas I was unfamiliar with.  i could get in and out quickly and often within and hour if we are talking a couple hundred acres.  but i say try it..especially if your trying to get into remote hunting spots (that have trails) and trying to get away from the crowd.  There is another poster here from Florida, i want to say its Sailfish, who does this quite a bit too and is successful.  Good luck!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:48 am

The lands I hunt here(public) do not allow any type of vehicles before hunting season, so scouting is done 1000% with a bike. We can bring our cars/trucks (only) onto the property when its our hunting w/e, but thats only allowed on "named roads". After that you still have to hump it.
I considered a bike to go from the truck parking area to the stand site, but its a considerable distance, lots of sugar sand on paths, and mostly heavily wooded, or swampy, its just not an viable option. If I could trudge though it all, as mentioned, I'd be a sweaty pig in no time
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:46 am

I find also that when going on the bike that you can be raising your chance of injury.. riding through the woods scouting like that may be faster, but there are alot of unseen holes, rocks,roots and ruts etc. that you can hit without even seeing them now add to that riding with a bow, arrows, and or stands....that is alot of stuff that if you say flipped your bike over front ways in a rut, can come up and smack you right in the back of the head or neck... i would personally rather take the time and hike it out.. besides you might fly right by a great spot for a stand that you would have seen on foot... just my opinion... just be safe!!! have a great season!
ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU HUNTING IS WRONG... TELL THEM TO READ THE BIBLE:

Now then get your weapons-
Your quiver and your bow-
And go out to the open country-
to hunt some wild game for me

Genesis 27:3

GDawg02

Postby GDawg02 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:02 am

I use a bicycle every season on some public land that doesn't allow any vehicle access. Usually my stands are 1.5-2 miles from the truck, which means A) no other hunters and B) One long drag for the way out! At first it seemed too cumbersome, but after a couple seasons, it is actually extremely nice! Without a doubt, I believe it is less intrusive, not too mention cutting my truck to stand time down from about 25 minutes to 5. Here are some tips that I have found help tremendously:

1) Firstly, ride the bike a lot before season to get yourself in shape. This includes riding with a weighted pack too!

2) It helps if the public land has many good solid dirt roads which make riding very easy

3) Never take the bike after a rain, trust me, not worth the effort of slogging through mud and puddles

4) BUY A COMBO PACK (this allows you to strap your bow or gun to your back, and pack all your gear in it too
    leaving two free hands for riding)

5) usually strap the pack to the back of my treestand the first time I take it in, or if I decide to move locations

6) Buy riding shorts with padding and a big fat seat. Trust me, nothing like not being able to ride your bike OUT of
    the woods after a nice 2 mile ride in with a 50 lb pack on your back. OUCH!!

7) As mentioned above, a good headlight is worth it for the ride in

8) I always pack my hunting clothes separately. Ride to your location in only one layer if possible. Once you get to
    your stand, plan for about 5 minutes to cool off. Then it is time to change into your hunting gear, packaging your
    riding clothes preferably into an airtight bag. Riding slow helps reduce sweat, and is much safer in the dark!

9) I built a trailer using bicycle wheels as mentioned above, I can't tell you how much this has helped! This season I
    have purchased a game cart that I will figure out a way to attach to the seat post. This should be more sturdy,
    not to mention less bulky than my homemade trailer. I did test my trailer by making my brother sit on it while I
    pedaled him around (he is about 230lbs!), should work great for pulling out a deer too!(This really helps a TON, by
    pulling the weight behind the bike, rather than it being on your back. It isn't as difficult as you might think)

10) Enjoy the look of other hunters as you pass them by on your bike! (They all say that they should try it too!)

11) Just FYI, I think Trek makes a good bike, but if you buy a cheapo bike from walmart, it will come back to haunt
     you. Trail riding is tough on a bike, and you need good equipment. After having chains come off and gears strip
     and you name it with cheap bikes, I broke down and bought a better bike - Just like any hunting equipment - you
     get what you pay for! So it goes without saying, don't forget a cable lock to lock your bike to a tree.

Hope this helps - I have embedded a picture of me with the trailer that I made!  I did remove the goose neck and made just a straight piece of square tubing run from the trailer to the bike. I also made it long so that I can use it to pull in a 14ft flat-bottom when it gets too wet to ride all the way. Deer are much easier to float out as opposed to dragging by the way... Enjoy!

Next

Return to Best Practices