What to do with clothes?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeerAddict

What to do with clothes?

Postby DeerAddict » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm gonna wash my bowhunting clothes in scent free detergent.. Should I dry them in the drier or let them dry outside?????Does the drier affect the clothes with scent at all??? I'm not sure how long they'll take to dry if they're outside tho...
Any Suggestions???[8|]

JPH

RE: What to do with clothes?

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Well you may not want to go to the extremes I do but I'll tell you what I do with my clothes anyway:

-First of all, my deer hunting clothing is just that. I only use them for deer hunting and keep them sealed in the off season.
-I wash in a scent-free detergent and air dry every stitch of clothing.
-I have also adopted the use of "TruCarbon H2O" (an activated carbon dip) for all of my outer clothing.
-This gets a second air drying and then everything is packed into air-tight dive bags. 
- I wash a pair of sweats and a bath towel in scent-free detergent. These are for use after I take a scent free shower just as I leave to go hunting.
- I dress in the clean sweats and ride on plastic seat covers as i drive to my hunting spot.
- I change into my hunting clothes outside of my vehicle just before heading to the stand.

Now understand this is just my clothing. I haven't even started to bore you (or creep you out) with how I use non-latex gloves, trim my body hair and take chlorophyll for scent control. Is it necessary? I dunno. I think it offers an edge and given how much I dream about deer hunting all year, I'd rather not leave it up to chance.

So, short answer. I suggest air drying.

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:36 pm

JPH, Don't forget to mention how you changed the time of the day your bowel movement occurs[;)][:D]
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Im with JPH but don't go through the regament that he does!

The dryer will leave a sent on your hunting cloths even after drying with no drying cloth at all.. Go to your dryer and take a sniff of the inside drum and tell me if you can't smell any fabric softner/cloths in it! If your wife is like mine you could leave the door open and it will deorderise the whole house. lol
ORIGINAL: DeerAddict

I'm gonna wash my bowhunting clothes in scent free detergent.. Should I dry them in the drier or let them dry outside?????Does the drier affect the clothes with scent at all??? I'm not sure how long they'll take to dry if they're outside tho...
Any Suggestions???[8|]

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:07 am

ORIGINAL: reeper0697

JPH, Don't forget to mention how you changed the time of the day your bowel movement occurs[;)][:D]

Look, he's a fairly new guy. I don't want to scare him off!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:18 am

I'm on the same page with JPH scent-wise. as extreme as it sounds, it is effective. Some mornings is is mighty cold (or wet) changing clothes outside, but it can make a huge difference in your hunting success. I take a tarp (bought specifically for hunting) along that I stand on as I change to keep dirt, sand, & moisture out of my socks and boots. Plastic garbage bags also work. I also purchased underwear and socks that are strictly for hunting. They get rolled into regular rotation at the end of deer season. I even use a (washable) nylon wallet to carry my hunting license, money, and tags in when I'm hunting so my regular billfold can't give me away.

Scent control can help keep you from getting busted and increase your chances at the best deer of your life. If the deer can't smell you, they won't know you're there.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:18 pm

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

Im with JPH but don't go through the regament that he does!

The dryer will leave a sent on your hunting cloths even after drying with no drying cloth at all.. Go to your dryer and take a sniff of the inside drum and tell me if you can't smell any fabric softner/cloths in it! If your wife is like mine you could leave the door open and it will deorderise the whole house. lol
ORIGINAL: DeerAddict

Any Suggestions???[8|]

Come on now Gulfcapt, we know you break out the nair to help with the manscaping. [:D]

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:27 pm

LOL scottflesher I don't want to reveal all my secretes! you done let the cat out of the bag

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:26 pm

To add to this, it is also a good idea to hang your clothes outside even when your not drying them. I like to hang my clothes out as often as weather permits, and I usually spray them with scent eliminating spray every time I hang them as well. In fact, my clothes are outside right now getting ready for this weekend. This "tactic" has increased my sightings significantly. Also I put bags of pine branches in my clothes bag, and in my totes that my clothes then go into. That way they will hopefully only pick up the pine smell when inside. I put the branches in zip lock bags and pefrorate the bags myself. Don't just throw branches in... it makes a mess.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:57 am

Hunt4fun is totally right. He does the same thing I do. I will wash my clothes in a five gallon bucket with scent free laundry soap and let them air dry outside. If the weather is nice and sunny they usually dry the same day if you wash them right away in the morning. I also keep my garments hanging and let the weather beat the crap out of them. Otherwise, I store them in a plastic tub with a box of baking soda after they dried. GulfCapt had a good point. I dont have washer and dryer in my house so I gotta go to town to the cleaners. You really want to make sure the washer and dryer you are using dont smell like a French whorehouse, and use Fresh Earth scented dryer sheets. A couple of years ago when I first started hunting deer with a bow I never had scent control at all. I didnt care. I maybe saw 6 to 7 deer all that season. I started a scent control routine this year and I been out 5 times so far and seen at least two deer each outing. I now believe scent control is the biggest factor in successful bow hunting.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Next

Return to Best Practices