foodplots vs fair chase

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
vambo991

RE: foodplots vs fair chase

Postby vambo991 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:37 pm

You do rock, Ms Badger. Dont forget, if you ever decide to bottle that goat pee and you need a distributor in Illinois, then keep me in mind.    GOLDEN NANNY ESTROUS!

scotman

Postby scotman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:33 pm

Hunting from a treestand will never be as exciting as a successful still-hunt.

I hear you there.

You all have a bunch of good points. I guess this coming season if it feels right I will stick with it.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:57 am

bckklr...Thanks we do need more woman out there helping to teach our younger generation to hunt....Mr B. wont bow hunt but I taught our daughter and son....I though..... can honestly say more hunting nut case than dedicated...[;)].Gods trueth...Last year ...bye the way did I mention that I'm rather "accident" prone?...I had a dog bite off a third of my lt pinky....well went to local hospital that sent me an hours drive to a hand surgeon in Rochester...Dr. Mitten...he said he could'nt replace bitten part but reconstruct so you'd barely notice...All I said was you have to promise I can bow hunt in 3 weeks...he bow hunts too...well he did both and with my hand still bandaged up I went out and arrowed an 8pt buck...called dad in-law to come help me skin and quarter him ...but had wrapped my hand in plastic.... gutted and loaded him into bucket of JD and got him home before dad got there...thank goodness for pain meds ...lol

scotman

Postby scotman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:15 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger
...Thanks we do need more woman out there helping to teach our younger generation to hunt....Mr B. wont bow hunt but I taught our daughter and son....I though..... can honestly say more hunting nut case than dedicated...[;)].Gods trueth...Last year ...bye the way did I mention that I'm rather "accident" prone?...I had a dog bite off a third of my lt pinky....well went to local hospital that sent me an hours drive to a hand surgeon in Rochester...Dr. Mitten...he said he could'nt replace bitten part but reconstruct so you'd barely notice...All I said was you have to promise I can bow hunt in 3 weeks...he bow hunts too...well he did both and with my hand still bandaged up I went out and arrowed an 8pt buck...called dad in-law to come help me skin and quarter him ...but had wrapped my hand in plastic.... gutted and loaded him into bucket of JD and got him home before dad got there...thank goodness for pain meds ...lol

Wow never a dull moment for you msbadger, congrats on that 8 pointer. I agree with bckklr we do need more women in the woods hunting like you. I thought I was accident prone but you got me beat , I think... I have a whole list of mishaps but here is one story I was out hunting and it got dark fast because of black cloud cover. Was rushing to get out of the woods and jambed a tree branch in my left eye. I honestly thought I lost my eye at that point. I dropped to my knees it hurt that bad...never the less I barely made it out of the woods that night after holding one eye with one hand and all my gear in the other. Once you injure one eye the other one starts watering like crazy and could barely see at all. I finally got out of the woods and went to the ER and they had to put a patch over my eye. The doc said I was extremely lucky I didn't lose it. Cause it was a deep gouge out of it and almost in the cornea. This is no lie, I had trouble with that eye for 10 years and it finally healed up completely just a few years ago.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:26 am

I have a long list as well but lordy that made me CRINGE!...glad every thing worked out....only..knock..knock..knock on wood eye injury I've had is when on the way to work one day at a stop light some crazied guy got out of his station wagon with his dog and a pipe. He walked to my van screaming obscenities at me...no one stopped and his dog was nearly hit....then he turned got in his car and sat through 2 more lights and left...have NO idea what set him off he had florida plates and long grey hair..nut job..So frightened I looked for a new route to work ... the next evening on a road I didn't really know and dark to boot I was looking for street signs..... when all of a sudden two sets of oranges feet where heading for my face... I ducked..turned the wheel...at same time braking and hitting right turn signal.....while 2 canadian geese hit my windshield...shattering it....some guy was standing in his yard saw the whole thing....the windshield was a pointed cone of glass where the geese butt hit and my face would have been had I not ducked. Me doing 40...goose ? = me going to hospital  in ambulance with glass in my eyes...and the trooper saying to the witness ..."She's lucky if he'd hit 3in lower he'd taken her head off"..So much for a safer route...lol

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:20 am

I have never hunted over a food plot ,i have hunted over a bait pile in Canada.But i enjoy still-hunting .  
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:00 am

Scotman  
So tell me what is fair chase in your mimd?

scotman

Postby scotman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:28 am

ORIGINAL: jacannon63

Scotman  
So tell me what is fair chase in your mimd?

I guess that is why I started this post because I'm undecided whether foodplots would be fair chase in my mind. I'm not a foodplot hater I think fair chase is something personal to decide and everyones idea of fair chase is different. But the bottom line is if it's legal in your state then go ahead and do it,if it feels right to you. Do I look down on others because they hunt over bait? No that is just not the case. If it is legal then it is the hunters choice to decide even though it is legal is it fair chase.

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:04 am

Fair chase to me is anything that is not in a high fence encloser. I still-hunt so i try to read deer sign, try to age tracks and find any natural food source .When there is snow i attempt to track.This is my definition of hunting and by reading this forum it's different than alot of other people.So if people hunt over a food plot or bait pile ( where legal) i still consider that fair chase hunting. 
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:12 pm

Hunting over a food plot is no different than hunting over a field of beans or corn. It's not like your sitting over a pile of corn and deer co'cain, or a pile of apples.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

PreviousNext

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management