If Hunting is a Religion, Then Hunters are Hindus

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Ben Sobieck

If Hunting is a Religion, Then Hunters are Hindus

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 am

In his article, "If Hunting is a Religion, Then Hunters are Hindus," Al Cambronne says hunters could do well by reaching out to non-hunters more. Click here to read the article. What do you think?

loneranger

RE: If Hunting is a Religion, Then Hunters are Hindus

Postby loneranger » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:39 am

With more people moving to suburbs and cities, to raise families, less influence from nature.Kids grow up in a manmade world. The youth are best reached. Take a kid out to the woods. I was raised in Grand Rapids MI. Inner city . My dad took me out to his boyhood farm on weekends, where I learned to love the outdoors. He took me rabbit hunting. I didn't much care for deer hunting though,, until my Uncles brought us some venison. I thought ,"that sure is good meat", I may have to reconsider,,and I did. I still hunt for the food end of it,,and getting out in the woods in the morning stillness. Never know what animal you might see. Always fun to see a mature animal,,because they are so rare,,like a diamond. But if for some reason I can't eat the meat anymore, I think I'd quite taking their lives,,and go out in the morning with a camera. Hunting your own food is a way to connect with doing something for yourself, like raising a garden. This end of hunting has to be promoted to others. The actual killing, and may I say, even the "big Rack" parts of hunting, are a turn off,,even to me.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:59 am

"If Hunting is a Religion, Then Hunters are Hindus"?

I get it on his point about the evangelism/proselytizing part, and that the new converts to hunting might care more about the venison than Boone & Crockett, but he didn't mention that when a Hindu is shooting that doe he might think he's shooting his dear departed aunt.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:06 am

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

I get it on his point about the evangelism/proselytizing part, and that the new converts to hunting might care more about the venison than Boone & Crockett, but he didn't mention that when a Hindu is shooting that doe he might think he's shooting his dear departed aunt.

Steve

I was waiting for someone to bring that point up Steve! [:D]
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:21 am

That might of been a aunt he didn't like tho!!

Steve

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:05 am

I read the article and it didn't really do much for me. I see his point but there is more than one way to spead the message. This holds true for religion and hunting, by the way.

In keeping with the author's analogy, I'd say that I try to spread hunting the way Saint Francis of Assisi spread Christianity. He once invited one of his Brothers to accompany him on a trip into town, to spread the Gospel. When they arrived Francis simply walked about in his humble habit, smiling and greeting everyone with profound joy. When he bagan to leave at the end of the day the Brother asked him if he was going to leave without preaching. Francis replied, "Preach the Gospel every day. If necessary use words."

My point is that Francis viewed living the Gospel with joy as the ultimate sermon. I think that as hunters we can encourage people to support what we do simply by doing it with joy. I tell stories, share meat and show off my photos to anyone who will sit still long enough. People who do not hunt walk away from me thinking I'm a little crazy but they can't help being infected by the joy. I don't try to talk them into hunting, I just let them bask in the glory of it for a moment.

I do not deny the value to evangilization. I just think it comes in many forms.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:25 am

JPH, you're right about the importance of living the gospel. It's absolutely essential. But I think that well-known St. Francis story is actually only a legend.

If you want to go theological and allow me to step behind the pulpit for a minute, the truth is that sometimes it's better not to use words, but if we are to follow the example of God himself we will often use words. After all, the ultimate expression of God was when "the Word became flesh," and the best record we have of that is in the form of words called the Gospels.

OK. Sorry for that. Back out from behind the pulpit now.

I'm glad hunting isn't a religion. If it were, I'm not sure I'm a good enough hunter to get to heaven. [:D]

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:02 am

...I think that well-known St. Francis story is actually only a legend.

Hmmm, my temptaion and natural inclination is to engage you on that point. On the other hand, Francis would have shrugged it off.

Enjoy your hunting season.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:11 am

Good. I really can't back myself up on that anyway, other than I read somewhere that no one has been able to historically document the quote.

Enjoy your season, too.

Steve

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:13 am

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

That might of been a aunt he didn't like tho!! 

Or his grandma. And who doesn't like his grandma!

Steve

Next

Return to Best Practices