First Time With a Tree Stand. Need Advice.

Have you ever fallen? Share your story ... it might save someone else's life!
Team_Redneck

First Time With a Tree Stand. Need Advice.

Postby Team_Redneck » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:09 pm

I've hunted deer all my life, * Not very long, I'm only 24*. But I've only hunted from the ground.

I went out this afternoon, And bought a Remington 15' ladder stand. Anybody used or heard anything good or bad about them?

My first thing I looked for was the Safety harness. I seen it and was thinking "How in the world do you put it on" etc etc.

Would I be better buyin' a hunter safety harness? Though money is tight, Or should I just stick with the one from the box?

Anyway's, I'm lookin' for reviews on this ladder stand.

Thank's,Dustin.

AlleganBowhunter

RE: First Time With a Tree Stand. Need Advice.

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Just follow the directions and make sure the stand is tight on the tree.  Then check it every time you hunt, before you hunt I should say.

As for the safety harness... I still use the basic harness that comes with the stands.  It works well for me, I don't find them hard to put on.  My brother in law hate them, says they are confusing and hard to put on.  We are going in as a group to buy him one of the vest style harnesses this year.  Tired of thinking I am going to have to lead the ambulance to him after he falls and breaks his a$$.

There can be a lot more involved.  Ascending /descending systems, prussic knots, etc, etc.  I won't go there as I know nothing of them.  I am sure someone can help us out shortly! [:)]

Here is link to the Treestand Manufacturers Association's website.  http://www.tmastands.com/   On the right side, the tree stand safety interactive course would give you a good introduction.

I would say two things...  learn your safety system and use it EVERYTIME and practice, practice practice shooting from the elevated position.  Stay safe and Happy Hunting!

Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

forkhorn

Postby forkhorn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:20 pm

the best advice anybody can give you is alway's wear your safety harness. i know the harness that comes with the stand is a bit of a pain to put on. once you get it figured out label it. example: rf,rb, lf,lb =  right front,right back left front,left back   for the leg openings. it will help. after a few times on and off it becomes much easier. another thing that help's out is brushing in part's of your stand with stick's and twig's to help hide it. and remember just because you are up 15 ft. the deer will still see you move.  be careful and good luck

Team_Redneck

Postby Team_Redneck » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:25 pm

Thank's for the replies!

I watched those video's on that link, very helpful.. The dvd that came with the stand, Just skipped and froze.

Another thing, If this is the right thread to ask this, Where and how do y'all decide to place a stand?

For the past two year's, The deer has had high rut movement *Chaseing, And sparring* By a field and a small wooded lot beside each other.

For example, This is my first area I'm hunting. Field is all to the left, On the right, Is a small wooded lot, And by the wooded lot is some deep pine thickets. I'm thinkin' Set up by the field and the wooded area.

Rub's, scrape's, and droppin, on the edge of the field and pine thicket.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:00 am

ORIGINAL: Team_Redneck

Thank's for the replies!

I watched those video's on that link, very helpful.. The dvd that came with the stand, Just skipped and froze.

Another thing, If this is the right thread to ask this, Where and how do y'all decide to place a stand?

For the past two year's, The deer has had high rut movement *Chaseing, And sparring* By a field and a small wooded lot beside each other.

For example, This is my first area I'm hunting. Field is all to the left, On the right, Is a small wooded lot, And by the wooded lot is some deep pine thickets. I'm thinkin' Set up by the field and the wooded area.

Rub's, scrape's, and droppin, on the edge of the field and pine thicket.

I would set up near where you are seeing the rutting activity. Get in there, set up a stand downwind and leave the area alone until the rut is in full swing. Put up a trail camera if you have one near rub lines and scrape lines, and leave it there for a week or two. scout from a distance if you can. For example, if you can see the deer from a road, house, or anywhere where you are unable to disturb them, thats the best way to go. No need to get close if you can scope them with a good pair of binos.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Return to Tree Stands