What to do with clothes?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Sailfish

RE: What to do with clothes?

Postby Sailfish » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:33 am

My routine is similiar to many on here.
Scent free showering (towels etc), dry outside, clothes are only for hunting, drive to hunting in different pair of shorts, change outside of car everything I can think of. I'm gonna even try Chlorophyll this year.
I do what I can, but honestly by the time I get my pack on heading to the stand. I am sweating.
When I start up my tree I am pouring sweat.
I figure though, do what I can to reduce the smell no matter what.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:00 am

I'm gonna be driving to my hunting location on a small motorcycle tomarrow...It's only about a quarter of a mile to get there.....Should I wear the clothes i'll be hunting in while on my motorcycle??? Or should I wear something else and change into my hunting clothes after I get to my hunting location??

If I wear different clothes while on my motorcycle, my hunting clothes will probably be in a back pack.. So I don't know if it will really make a difference if I wear them, or have them in the back pack. What do you think?????[&:]

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Riding on a motorcycle? Just go fast and air your clothes out on the way!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:10 pm

1/4 of a mile. I would walk there, at least the engine noise wouldn't tip off the critters that you are enroute. I dont know if you would contaminate your scent at all riding on a motorbike. Spray the sucker down with scent killer.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm with JPH and go to the extremes.  Like he said....Does it help?  Who knows but it sure doesn't hurt.  One thing to note, I know sometimes you wash your clothes and you either don't have the time or you can't air dry them for one reason or another.  They have 'earth scent' dryer sheets you can use.  I'd throw one in the dryer with nothing in it for one cycle, then keep that old one in there, throw your clothes in there, and put a new one in with it.  One thing to note, this will not work with carbon clothing as the scent of the dryer sheet will clog up the carbon pores. 
QDM!

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:35 pm

I have seen deer literally turn and walk off and go the other direction because of hearing a vehicle/4 wheeler from a late hunter coming into the area, or leaving! I bought a bicycle from GoodWill! Painted it camo, Im going to leave it in the woods and use it
ORIGINAL: DeerAddict

I'm gonna be driving to my hunting location on a small motorcycle tomarrow...It's only about a quarter of a mile to get there.....Should I wear the clothes i'll be hunting in while on my motorcycle??? Or should I wear something else and change into my hunting clothes after I get to my hunting location??

If I wear different clothes while on my motorcycle, my hunting clothes will probably be in a back pack.. So I don't know if it will really make a difference if I wear them, or have them in the back pack. What do you think?????[&:]

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:50 am

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

I have seen deer literally turn and walk off and go the other direction because of hearing a vehicle/4 wheeler from a late hunter coming into the area, or leaving!

Same here. I get into the woods an hour & 1/2 before sunrise so the woods can "cool down" from anything that I may have disturbed on my way in. One property I used to hunt bordered a lease where they rode 4 wheelers to their stands just before dawn. I could hear the deer moving away from the noise. I could also hear their climbing stands clanking as they went up the trees too. If I heard them clearly from that far away, imagine what it sounded like to the deer? Is it any wonder they were not terribly successful deer hunters?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:21 am

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

I have seen deer literally turn and walk off and go the other direction because of hearing a vehicle/4 wheeler from a late hunter coming into the area, or leaving!

I think its situational.
My Uncle and cousin both ride motorized vehicle to their hunting stands.
They both literally park them behind their stand.
They have no issues killing or seeing deer.

Deer get accustomed to sound in the woods. They chop/cut wood (chainsaws and everything) up to the day off huntind. The animals dont seem bothered by the least.

Remember the aqua velva story [;)]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:20 pm

I drive to my hunting place and park on the side of the road so I don't think it will scare them... I just park in the ditch and walk to my stand... it's far away enough that I don't think it will bother the deer.

besides, the farmer that owns the property drives tractors, fork lifts, lawn mowers, etc around his barns.. So they're probly used to those kinds of sounds.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:58 am

Deer are different in heavy agriculture areas. You might be right, the deer are probably used to the noise. I like gulfcapt's idea of riding a regular bicycle. Good luck
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices