Is my hunting area trashed?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
woodsalta

Is my hunting area trashed?

Postby woodsalta » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:50 am

Let me lay out what the scinerio is:

The other day I went out to my hunting area that I have been telling you about since last year. A nice elder lady had let me set up a stand in her back yard and I saw TONS of deer activity, trails, scrapes, mating marks (2 circles in the snow from the back legs of a buck breeding a doe), etc. I have to remind you that in earlier posts that I'm from MA and where I hunt it's all micro/urban hunting small plots of land behind peoples houses etc. Anyway, I go by the house to see if there is any sign and they have torn down two houses and they have built 1 monster of a house across the street where the deer used to travel from their feeding area past my stand to their bedding area. The other house was right next door but they have dug a hole for a new foundation. They have high fenced the area in around both properties, and there was other construction down the street last year and the deer still came around. Last year there were tons of deer because there is NO hunting pressure (except from me). These deer were out in a field with leaf blowers going on for a hour or so, landscrape trucks backing up, people coming home and flashing them with headlights as they park their cars in the driveway, etc, etc.

My question is: Do you guys think that because of the area I hunt that the deer might skirt around the area of the fenced in job sites and continue to use my homeowners property to get to and from feeding/bedding areas or should I just pull up stakes and find another place to hunt?
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

shaman

RE: Is my hunting area trashed?

Postby shaman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:18 am

I think in fairly short order, you should be able to figure this out for yourself through scouting. Either there is going to be fresh sign or there isn't.  I have seen lots of fresh sign after construction crews have disturbed  the soil at various sites.  Go out after it rains and see.

If the feeding area is disturbed, there may be a problem, but if the food is still there and only the pathway is screwed up, they'll find another way to get between their bed and the food.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:22 am

I wouldnt think your area is trashed and Shaman is right. it all depends on sign. I lived in a town of 23,000 people almost 8 years ago and had more deer trolling thru my yard going into the middle of town than I ever seen in the woods. Real Crazy. I think Since urban developement is going on in your hunting area, the only thing I would be concerned about is deer going off the beaten path and eating out of bird feeders in backyards instead of feeding in their usual areas, and maybe people's dogs chasing deer.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:37 am

Thanks for the feed back. Yesterday I went out and bought a new trail camera. I am going out to my spot this afternoon and set it up and see what it captures, I will keep you informed.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:15 am

I told you that I would keep you informed. The area is still very active, but as you can tell that the deer are still showing up, and at all times of the day.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:31 am

And this is with 2 multi million dollar homes being built boarding the property on two sides.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:42 pm

Thats wild to have that much deer movement in a suburban setting......makes me want to try hunting in the city limits of St. Louis! [;)]

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:47 am

I will take some photos from the tree stand to show everyone what I see from there. I will post them tomorrow. Not only do I have deer, I have turkey, coyote, and a red fox run under the stand on Monday.

Proline

Postby Proline » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:56 am

Looks good to me!  You just may have a honey hole. I'm from Mass. too.  Nice you have it all to yourself.  Keep a low profile coming and going.  If you bag one do your best not to let anyone see and tell no one.  You know how it is in Mass.  

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:25 am

No kidding, I showed a photo of a small 6 pointer and within 2 minutes I was asked 3 times if "friends" are allowed. This will be the second year I've been hunting this land and I have yet to take a deer off it. I want to at least break the ice myself after all the work in trail cam scouting, stand hanging, etc. that I have done. Never mind the bathroom floor I installed at cost to the homeowner to show how much I appreciate her letting me hunt.

Next

Return to Best Practices