Moultrie I40 Reviews

Goose

Moultrie I40 Reviews

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:31 pm

Have any experience with Moultrie I40? Please let us know how you rate it along with your likes and dislikes.
Camera details - http://www.moultriefeeders.com/productd ... fh-dgs-i40
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Goose

RE: Moultrie I40 Reviews

Postby Goose » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:08 pm

I bought my first I40 in July of 2008. I put it out for a week and when I went to check it the led screen was dead. I couldn't see any settings or all of the other info so I took it back to Gander. They replaced it after a little bit of difficulty. By the end of 08, the led was doing the same thing. Took the batteries out for the end of winter and spring and when I brought it back out in the summer of 09 it was working again. A couple of weeks later it went out again.
The camera still works but you cannot change any settings or tell your battery level etc...
The emitters glow red at night.

Overall this camera still works but I paid $200 for it and it didn't work properly for one year.

Dislikes:

-The shutter is rather loud when it goes off which has spooked several deer.
-Trigger speed is pretty slow.
-The pictures at night are blurry if there is any movement.
-Seems as though moisture gets in there after a heavy rain
-SD card can be hard to grab

-The 6 D batteries last a long time in it.
-Daytime pictures turn out good
-3 pic Burst (if you can get to the settings)
-Date, Time, Moon Phase (it also has temp but it isn't close)
-Nighttime videos
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

easports

Postby easports » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 am

I've had two of these cameras until last year when one was stolen. Both of the camera's took great pictures and the battery life was not bad. Two cons are regarding the camera....one: it's a big camera and second is the placement of the SD card. In the early part of the season when the weather is reasonable, it's not too bad. But when the weather get cold and you are trying to get the card out....that a pain.

arpy00

Postby arpy00 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:26 am

I bought one in the fall of '08 and it worked great until spring (the images were all yellow). Moultrie replaced that one in the spring of '09. I used it in late summer until fall, then it would do nothing. Moultrie replaced that one. It worked fine last fall, at least until January, then the display started to half work...can't read anything. I have requested warrenty repair on this current one....however nothing has happen (it has been about 2 weeks since I made contact). I suspect I am out of luck or warrenty.

hunterdavid1234

Postby hunterdavid1234 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:46 am

Moultrie Cameras are junk , bought them had nothing but trouble with them , sent them in for repair and got back with notes on them saying they were unrepairable and they wanted me to purchase new cameras from them. What a joke !!!!!!! Will never ever buy any moultrie products in my life time again. I hope no one does maybe they will get a message .......

JHP230gr45

Postby JHP230gr45 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:35 am

I have two Moultrie cameras...one is the newer model 5.0 that takes 6 "D" batteries and the other is a Gamespy 2 that takes a 6 volt...Both take SD cards which do well...

The newer one  (5.0 megapixel ) has a picture viewer on the front but it is useless as the images are really too small to make anything out on it...
  The battery life is good. It takes fair pictures but are not as quality  as it should be for a 5.0 megapixel camera...

The Gamespy 2 I bought in 2006 has worked great for the last four seasons I've put it out in the woods... I've had one problem with it, is that it has a tendency to to white out pictures if the sun  is shining anywhere in the direction of it...It's picture quality is great for a 3.0 megapixel at a range of about 10-20 feet but after that it can be sketchy at night and on the perimeter of the flash...
  Otherwise it's been pretty reliable for all practical purposes...I wouldn't hesitate getting another one if I found one cheap brand new that was still in the box.

Beyond that, the Cuddebacks take better pictures and the prices have come down more affordable as of late...For those who are looking to get a camera for the first time, take my advice and save your pennies for the Cuddeback...I will keep using my Moultries  and replace them as they crap out with Cuddebacks...My opinion...Thanks...

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:25 am

I have had 6 of them & they last about 1 1/2 seasons. I will never buy another Moultrie product. You send them in to be repaired & all they do is send them back![:'(]
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:45 am

Mine just crapped out this season.  I have the D40, not the I40, but now it won't turn on at all.  Never exhibited problems in the almost two years I've had it, but now nothing works on it.  Won't turn the laser aim on, won't display anything, won't flash, won't take pictures, read card.  Very very frustrated and Moultrie says they can't do anything for me.  NOt even send me a coupon or money off a new camera.  What a joke for how much you pay for these things.  If it's worth anything, I never dropped it once and was never chewed up by any bears, squirrels, etc...  It worked after gathering at year's end last year, but won't turn on after sitting on a shelf in my basement, where it is dry I might add, this year late summer. I won't be buying another moultrie I'll tell you that much, it's junk now. 
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:10 am

dmcianfa I will NOT buy another Moultrie product what so ever, because of game cams that I bought from them that they said could not be fixed! They have the worst customer satisfaction ever in my book..

Picklguy Thats what they done to me. sent it back

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:23 am

dmcianfa - Don't be surprised if you take it out next year and it works! That's what happened to me, I put it in my basement over winter because it stopped working, when I took it out the next summer to take it apart and play with it, it worked! It has worked since as far as taking pictures but nothing else works like the lcd screen.
[align=left] [/align]
Jake

Next

Return to Scouting Cameras