Setting up a 40 pounder...Questions

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
passin through

Setting up a 40 pounder...Questions

Postby passin through » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:45 am

Hello--- I am setting up a 40# compound for a friend....It is an exceptionally fast little bow but am curious as to what shafts/broadheads people would recommend.  Currently she is in the practice stages and is shooting 30lbs 190fps terminator jr shafts 100 grain heads 25 inch draw (295 gr total weight).  I really don't know how hard it will sling them when we go higher poundage.  My thoughts though, are to go with a heavier shaft and a good cut on contact head.....  The local bow tech and I are kicking around a carbon express 90 with either 100 or 85 grain slick tricks  or maybe magnus buzzcuts ( I like Carbon Express and am not a muzzy fan)  Thought process here is if I can get her a decently heavy finished arrow (all be it short) that the bow will still sling at 170 plus I will be ok (Trying to get the same kinetic energy as my 40lb recurve which is a proven performer) .  What would you do?
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

mirvingm

RE: Setting up a 40 pounder...Questions

Postby mirvingm » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:20 am

Passin Through,

Check out the [color="#000000"]Carbon Tech[/color] line of arrows. I use them and so far I'm happy with the performance. The different recommended arrow spline cover a broad weight range. Lancaster archery supply carries the Carbon Tech line of shafts and arrows

As far as what broad-heads to use I prefer the cut on impact models. I use 3 blade snuffers on my 70# bow and a two blade on my recurve and longbow. All your energy isn't wasted opening a mechanical broad-head or punching a hole before cutting. That is strictly my preference on broad-heads, there are many to chose from I'm sure you will find something. 

Mirvingm

mirvingm

Postby mirvingm » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:22 am

double post [&:]

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:29 pm

it prob wouldn't hurt to bring it in to a pro-shop and have them look at it, paper-tune the bow and get it shooting right.  shouldn't cost too much!
QDM!

passin through

Postby passin through » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:34 am

Thanks guys!  We are going to be doing that and running though the chronograph as well...trying to find a good balance between speed & weight to give optimum punch.  Tune-ability of the shaft will play a big factor too....punch doesn't do any good if its not put in the right spot.[:D]
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

Duder

Postby Duder » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:00 am

you can't go wrong with a magnus stinger, the penetrate like crazy!

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:08 am

KE doesnt kill anything. Its a number used to sell bows. Well placed cut on contact heads (scary sharp) attached to properly tuned arrows coming out of a well tuned bow do the killing...steer clear of heads with a sharp angle of attack (mini heads)

If you want more arrow wgt, install brass inserts (come in 50 and 10 gr)
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

3tail

Postby 3tail » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:43 pm

like buck hunter said i would take it to a pro shop .

Maineyotekiller

Postby Maineyotekiller » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:28 pm

Magnus Buzzcut is the only broadhead I would recommend.  My eight year old can zip right through a deer out to 25yds with 40# and 19 1/2" draw as long as he doesn't hit the shoulder. His bow shoots 178 fps.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting