Another treestand tragedy...

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
bowman12

RE: Another treestand tragedy...

Postby bowman12 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:43 am

Wow, Thanks for the information about falling from what I used to consider not life threatening!

Glad your brother is alive, life changing but glad he's still with family.

habitatmanager

Postby habitatmanager » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:19 am

Avoid hanging by keeping a few foldable treesteps on you in a reachable place. somtimes all you need is a handhold/ foothold to get you back onto your stand or platform. the pocket on a huntersafty system vest is great for this. i keep mine wrapped in a piece of felt with a rubberband around it to keep it quiet. even if you are using a climber and it falls to the ground this will let you get your weight off your straps and let you call/ wait till help arrives!

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:16 am

Great idea. It might not work every time, but it always pays to think and plan ahead.

Thanks.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Terminator

Postby Terminator » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:44 am

I keep a knife in my bib pocket. I'm coming out of there one way or another! My prayers are with that family during this terrible time!
T

antlersonly

Postby antlersonly » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:16 am

Could you please post a link to the original story? I am trying to determine what kind of stand he was using.

Thanks
"With God all things are possible"

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:39 am

ORIGINAL: Jslotter

Sounds like his safety harness killed him???

The story said the safety rope was attached to his backpack, doesn't sound like any safety harness that I know. Last year I made the best purchase I've ever made. I saved up enough money and bought me and my oldest son an HSS Safety Vest. We both use them anytime we go up a tree. Stories like this are very sad and just another reminder to all of us out there that we need to be as safe as we possibly can. Safe hunting everyone.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:44 am

ORIGINAL: antlersonly

Could you please post a link to the original story? I am trying to determine what kind of stand he was using.

Thanks

Antlersonly, welcome to the D&DH forums.

There is a link in the OP. Whether there are other online sources for more information, I don't know. The news stories may not contain any reference to the kind of stand he was using. I might be wrong, but I'd be surprised if the kind of stand was reported anywhere unless some design flaw or other liability for the manufacturer became an issue. Sorry.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Previous

Return to Breaking News