hows everyone shooting?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeerCamp

hows everyone shooting?

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:44 pm

just wondering if anyone is shooting? how are the groups. been shooting a lot myself. im shooting at 70 yards hitting real close. ill never shoot at a deer that far, but its fun for compatations and shooting at targets at 20 yards all the time just doesnt do it for me anymore.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

shadow

RE: hows everyone shooting?

Postby shadow » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:34 pm

I am good out to 40 yards right now. I have a 50 yard pin but have not yet adjusted it. Horseing around this past Saturday I am hitting a 2 1/2 foot wide, steel powerline pole at 103 yards just aiming high with the 40 pin.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:29 pm

i shoot in my basement so the shot is only 20yrds but im consittently bullseying them so i m happy
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:50 pm

I shoot a recurve instinctively, so I shoot all year. I live on 5 acres, so I roam around and shoot at weed heads, empty gallon jugs, and 3-D targets with my Judo points. I even have a ladder stand that I shoot from.

I also have a 15 yard indoor range in my basement.

I figure I shoot 10,000+ arrows a year, which I don't mind at all, as if it weren't for bothersome details like a marraige, and having food on the table and a roof over my head, I'd do nothing BUT shoot all day!

I also like to shoot at 40 to 50 yards, as even though that's TWICE my hunting range, it will show you weak spots in your form. Little things that you don't even notice at 10 or 20 yards become VERY obvious at 50!

That, and after shooting at 50 yards, 20 seems almost too simple!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:04 pm

When it's not pouring out...[>:]...Ive been going out several times a week and shooting from my stand.....groups are good ...I shoot a hoyt compound and instinctive and fingers....my best groups are 17-25 yrds and still hitting a tad high at 10yrds need to feel atad more comfortable bending over edge of stand for the closer shooting...even with harness...not bad seeing my left hand is weak from the surgery last year and I broke a bone in my right hand while turkey hunting at camp this spring....shoulders are in good shape from cutting wood

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:20 am

ive been shooting a couple times a week, doing well. Started back in Jan. in a dart league and now ive been shooting 20 yards every time I go and ending with a couple shots at 30. I wont move back to 30 yards all the time for another month or so and I dont shoot 40 or beyone because I know in the woods I'm not going to take that shot. I like to be sure im going to make a clean hit.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:01 am

At first wasn't sure what we were shooting then after reading a bit must be bow. I got 5 pins and am shooting out to 50yds. I'm grouping out to 30-35yrds inside a coffey cup, and 40-50 coffey can. I won't take a shot over 35yrds. Shooting long shots helps calibate my eyes for the short shots. How long do you all shoot for? I find if I shoot for longer then an hour per day my shots get sloppy from fatige which frustrates me. I then stop and shoot again in a day or two.

scotman

Postby scotman » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:17 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

just wondering if anyone is shooting? how are the groups. been shooting a lot myself. im shooting at 70 yards hitting real close. ill never shoot at a deer that far, but its fun for compatations and shooting at targets at 20 yards all the time just doesnt do it for me anymore.

I just got my Bear SuperMag 48 a few weeks ago and been shooting mostly everyday. Well had to let a blister heal up on the third finger I hold the string with,it was pinching on the string,. Started at 10 yards and now i'm shooting at 20 yards and can hold the groups fairly tight. I still need to practice a lot more to be ready for bow season.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:43 pm

I usually don't practice any farther than 25 yards... sometimes 30. Most of my stands don't have a shooting lane over 20 yards long. I do practice a lot, so I'm very comfortable at those distances from a variety of angles. 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:36 pm

ORIGINAL: scotman

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

I just got my Bear SuperMag 48 a few weeks ago and been shooting mostly everyday. Well had to let a blister heal up on the third finger I hold the string with,it was pinching on the string,. Started at 10 yards and now i'm shooting at 20 yards and can hold the groups fairly tight. I still need to practice a lot more to be ready for bow season.

"......had to let a blister heal up on the third finger I hold the string with...."

Have someone watch you shoot. It sounds like you may have a high elbow on your drawing hand, which causes more pressure/friction on that third finger.

I've......"been there, done that"!!!

From the bow window, through the drawn arrow, to your drawing hand, down your arm to your elbow should be a totally flat line.

On that short a bow, this problem is even more pronounced, due to the acute string angle at full draw.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to Best Practices