shooter?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
kragevalley

shooter?

Postby kragevalley » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:30 am

We are trying to improve the quality of bucks on our property and the nieghbors have the same goals in mind. we hunt in the southeastern part of MN. I have several pictures of this buck at a stand site but am at a loss... This picture is from the second week in August. Guesses on his score, age?? would you shoot him given the chance?

Patriot

RE: shooter?

Postby Patriot » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:49 am

I'd shoot him all day, every day, any day.  Nuff said.

Second week of August you say....still some growing of antlers to do.

3.5 or 4.5 I'd say for age.

Score?  130-135.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:17 am

Age? 3.5

Score? High 130's

Shooter? I don't know your situation, so I cannot say what you should do.

On my place? Thwack!

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:26 am

He's certainly no more than 3.5 and I would lean to 2.5.  Bucks grow big in that part of MN early in life, I have a couple really nice 8 and 10 pointers that are 1.5 and 2.5 year old deer from that same area of the world.  Nice racks, but lack the mass of the older bucks. 

As far as shooting, I certainly would.  I started hunting in that area of the world and lots of guys got on my case for shooting the bucks that I mentioned above.  When I moved to WI for school, I started hunting in the Northwoods, where any deer is a trophy, so my outlook on antlers has changed quite a bit.  That deer where I hunt now, would be the talk of the county.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:05 pm

By looking at his body I'd say MAYBE 3.5.  Could be 2.5.  Score...About 130.  Nothing higher than 135 I don't think.  Nice buck though!
QDM!

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:16 am

I'd guess him to be 3.5 and that's our age limit so he'd be on the hit list, for sure with the bow, last weekend of rifle season he might get a chance to walk, but that decision would be made on the spot.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:22 pm

I'd agree with 2.5 or 3.5. Where I tend to disagree is more on the score. I'd think this deer would score 120 at best. Realistically 110ish. Here is why I say that about score. He looks like a main frame 10 point. He appears to have split G2's and even if he doesn't his tines aren't very long. His G4's (or G3's if his G2's are split) appear to be very short, which hurts his potential score. His main beams don't appear to be really long (as they don't come back together much). If this deer weighed 200lbs or more, perhaps i'm underestimating him due to the size of his body, but if he's a 150 lb deer, I'd bet he wouldn't be much over 110.

Now to answer your question about him being a shooter. He is a nice buck and many hunters go years without seeing a deer of this caliber, so to me it depends. If you're the owner of the land or have a long term lease, I would hold off. He's never going to reach his full potential if you shoot him now. Studies show that most deer reach antler maturity at 5.5 or 6.5, so if you and your neighbors can hold off, I think you'll thank yourself in a few years. But with that being said, I've shot smaller bucks due to the thrill of the hunt when I claim to be waiting for the giant. [:D]

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:09 pm

ORIGINAL: scottflesher

Where I tend to disagree is more on the score. I'd think this deer would score 120 at best. Realistically 110ish. Here is why I say that about score. He looks like a main frame 10 point. He appears to have split G2's and even if he doesn't his tines aren't very long. His G4's (or G3's if his G2's are split) appear to be very short, which hurts his potential score. His main beams don't appear to be really long (as they don't come back together much).

You know? On second glance I think you are right. Good eye.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management