plots

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
EatDeer

plots

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Do any of you plant foods plots? If so what are you planting in them? How many acres?

"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

mhouck06

RE: plots

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:42 am

chickory and soy beans work well for me.. just small garden sized ones, we have fields of corn and oats for the cows, so we just plant small plots over the whole farm to mix it up some

scotman

Postby scotman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:16 am

I planted a acre of new zealand clover the deer come to  it frequently. I have to get some weed killer on it this week and then cut it with the mower yet. Next year if I stick with it I plan on planting 2 acres of imperial clover, brassica in the fall and some beats for winter foraging.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:32 am

I try to keep my plots small, and I don't harvest off them to keep the pressure off the plots.  I plant one acre and smaller plots of clover and chicory, then mow, use my weedeater,or spray herbicide on the plots to control weeds.  My larger brasscia plot keeps the deer fed well in the late winter, but did take some time for the deer to hone in on the plot.  I try to make my  plots larger every year.  I have the best daytime results with my clover plot between a bedding area and a ag crop. The deer like to bed and stage near this plot before going to the larger ag crop at night to feed. 

"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:15 am

I plant several small woodland plots..total about 2 acres on near 50acres...I have a 3 acre open field on land but it's road side so I leave it...I plant turnips..(appin/pajsa)...buckwheat in all new plots and for perennials... I mix Oasis chicory with jumbo wht. clover and birdsfoot trifoil in a couple of plots and in others I plant jumbo wht. and starfire red clovers with oasis..burnett..and alfalfa...I always plant buckwheat first time plots to help cut weed seed production and then I'll overseed in fall with wht. clover /rye and depending on how that regrows in spring I'll either till it in and plant a annual again or allow it to grow the season monitor weed growth and till in following fall to plant annual or perennial depending on weed growth...this year I've lost 2 annual plots to rain...others growing well.....

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:21 am

Last year I planted 31 plots, 25 acres in clover, wheat and oats.This summer I am trying to maintain 16 of my clover plots. Fert. prices are hurting my food plot program.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 am

We've been planting, or should I say playing with food plots for the past 4 years.  On our 100 acres we have in order of establishment the:

Hilltop plot - 1/2 acre - ladino clover, red clover, chicory, alfalfa, oats, brassicas mix
Woodlot plot - 1/4 acre - ladino clover, red clover 
Alfalfa plot - 1.75 acres - alfalfa, ladino clover, red clover
Hidden plot - 1/4 acre - ladino clover, red clover
Beanfield plot - 2.5 acre - soybeans, corn, forage sorghum
New plot and Back Alley - 1/2 acre - ladino clover, red clover, durana clover, chicory, oats
Dove plot - 1 acre - it screens the beanfield plot - milo, sunflower, egyptian wheat.

We also have about 10 acres planted to NWSG in it's third year.  Thanks to the MDC for assisting us with this project.  Can't quite say it's the deer magnet the magazines claim, but we see a lot of tracks in the firebreak we have surrounding the field.  Have only once jumped a buck beding in the NWSG, but did take a nice 11 pointer during archery season just as he entered the firebreak.

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management