Buck growl?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Buck growl?

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:32 am

Somewhere I heard or saw the term "buck growl" mentioned (I think it was in conjunction with a device).

Today I read an article that mentioned it.

What do you know?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

msbadger

RE: Buck growl?

Postby msbadger » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:17 am

I don't know about a growl ...but I've heard the snort wheez and use it my self...also one day I had two buck trot past me while walking and the bigger of the two was make  a loud ...hhmm..clicking noise ...like one of those new years eve party noise makers that you spin around...or a stick being run down the teeth of a large comb. I'd like to know more about both..

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:15 pm

There is a call thats suppose to imitate a buck growl. Bucks growl ? [8|] Primos does make a deer calling dvd and it talks about a buck making a "clicking" grunt during the rut.   
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:50 pm

That's right bucks growl to call in estus doe's. I heard of the clicking sound too. The makers of the buck growl sell it with a dvd that show's you how to use the growl and clicking sounds to call in bucks. I think if you visit thier website you can view the dvd for free. I heard a old buck use a deep tone grunt growl once,and call doe's in making that sound with my grunt call. Primos sells a roar which is about the same,but adds a snort wheeze to the call. Both seem to work from what I've seen. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:56 am

one of the videos on here talks about the different calls and noises deer make, the guy mentions a buck growl. i forget which video he said and what he actually said about it, but its on the website if you want to take a look

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:54 am

Ive heard of the call and i ve seen the primos product.never tried it and im on the fence about it.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:27 pm

The buck "growl" is a M.A.D product. I've seen guys using them on Drury Outdoors videos. I bought the Primos buck "roar" last season and used it (and a can bleat) to get a huge buck to come in close during the rut. I really like it... you can get loud and aggressive with it and it doesn't sound like a duck call. Comes with a snort/wheeze tube which works decent. Really, you can do a snort/wheeze with your mouth almost as easy. I recommend it... I even bought my brother one for his B-Day.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:52 am

i have never heard the growl in the woods, but bought the call anyway. it makes a good deer call and have called in a few good bucks even a nice 10pt.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Kydeerhunter03

Postby Kydeerhunter03 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:23 pm

I seen a video with footage of live deer making the "growl". Its pretty interesting

Here is the link

http://www.obsessionarchery.com/buck-growl-obsession.wmv

bowhuntersrave

Postby bowhuntersrave » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:54 pm

I have never heard the growl here in Maine but have seen the vids and the calls. I'm still not convinced.
www.bowhuntersrave.com
Preserving our bowhunting heritage

Mathews/Bowtech Raffle enter today

Next

Return to General Discussions