Hunting land

gilkey79

RE: Hunting Land

Postby gilkey79 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:11 pm

OK i moved my stand just to the north of this pond and found scrapes every where but no luck after walking for a while this afternoon. I found numerous scrapes and rubs in the Far south east grass field but never ran up any deer and the only thing i see that they could be eating on is a bunch of persimon trees would they be acessing this open terrain at night?

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Agree with Joel...find the food, and if that pond is the only water source in the area it would make sense that you found scrapes north of it.  Also you have a couple of natural funnels created by the thin strip of woods seperating the grassy field to the north and what looks like another field to the south...and another on both sides of the southern field.  they are worth checking for sign.  As Goose mentioned the edges of the woodline and field are good spots too, you just need to figure out where their stagin area is at.  As for the scrapes are they fresh or look to be only a day or two old?  Just because you don't see them actively scraping does not mean they are not there.  They could be scraping at night or more likely in the late morning and early afternoon...thats when most mature bucks will check their scrapes.  If you can download a topo of the area to show terrain relief we could probably give yo a better idea where to scout.

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:02 pm

this might have been said already, but the land in between the pond and that cove might make for a nice funnel

skeatus

Hunting land

Postby skeatus » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:05 pm

I Just found out that the area I hunt I can't hunt this year. I was looking for an area close to home to hunt. I don't have the money for a lease. Iwill try to work something out with someone, Maybe trade venison if lucky. I live in shiawassee county right next to genesse county. I've tried the dnr site and can't find anything. Than you for your time

Scott

mag30079

RE: Hunting land

Postby mag30079 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:47 am

Here's an address to check out. Hibbard Rd. 1/8 Mi. E. of
Balcom Rd., [size=2]
Middlebury[size=2]
SHIAWASSEE

There is 49 acres of woods and 13 hunters allowed each day. I found it on the DNR web site under HAP (hunter access program) private farms with hunting for the public. Also there are thousands of acres of public land by you I think.

I know how you feel losing hunting land. A property I've been hunting for 6 years I may not get to use this year. I have to call the guy back this week for a decision. He told me someone has been steeling tree's off the property and now no one is allowed on it. I'm crossing my fingers that he will say we can use it again.

Best of luck to you
[/size][/size]
The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind. "Fred Bear"

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:06 am

Sorry to hear of your situation. This is one of largest and most serious problems we deer hunters face, year after year. I don't have an answer, wish I did. Access gets more limited every year.
A buddy and I lease nearly 200 acres in the mountains of West Virginia. Several of the neighbors have been doing everything they can think of to get us out so they can have free access. Recently, we put out a large chunk of money to improve the access right-of-way. They fought us hard over that, but eventually we succeeded. We continue to fight/counter-punch this type of thing every year and frankly, it does take away from the sheer enjoyment of being able to concentrate on deer hunting.
Only suggestion I have is for you to continue to look, be positive and hopefully, something will turn up for you.
Best of luck.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

skeatus

Postby skeatus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks guys. I also found one in Gennesse county I'm going to check out. I also talked to some people who might know something. Maybe someday I'll get that land to manage. Happy hunting.

Previous

Return to Michigan