Help ME.

Describe the most puzzling blood trail you've ever been on.
Gulfcapt

RE: Help ME.

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:28 am

I got it!!!!! Strap a GPS Tracking device to the arrow! "Like you would a hunting dog"

You'll find that sucker every time!

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:41 am

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

I got it!!!!! Strap a GPS Tracking device to the arrow! "Like you would a hunting dog"

That's ridiculous ... a GPS device would totally throw off the arrow's balance. Why not just attach a very thin nylon filament string on a 440 yard reel? Then, even in the dark you could easily follow the string. I gotta see if anyone has a patent for that. [;)]

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:49 am

you people never ever agree with anything I have to say!!!! Thats just fine i'll take my bow and arrow and play elsewhere!

goozman55

Postby goozman55 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:13 am

Easy man. I think its safe to say that we all have delivered a shot that was less than ideal once in our hunting career. Are you saying that he should just give up on the deer if the meat might be spoiled? Not sure i agree with ya on this one.

lawdog

Postby lawdog » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:38 am

thanks goozman55; youre right.

this isnt the place to have an extensive argument. no one can be successful 100% of the time. mistakes occur and and marginal/poor hits happen. its what we do with them that seperates us from the careless hunters. my simple pont is deer dont always die within 30 minutes and a ton of effort may be needed to recover it. we're on here to try to help the man. i see he hasnt given us an update yet - hopefully soon.

araslanger92; how'd it turn out?

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:40 am

ORIGINAL: goozman55

Easy man. I think its safe to say that we all have delivered a shot that was less than ideal once in our hunting career. Are you saying that he should just give up on the deer if the meat might be spoiled? Not sure i agree with ya on this one.

If you didn't understand my initial post, (#5) there is nothing else I can say here.

CB on the run

Postby CB on the run » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:36 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

... but hunters from my generation expect to deliver a killing shot that will drop an animal in it's tracks. Some may travel a few feet, but they're dead when hit or we don't pull the trigger.

With an arrow a deer might travel up to 100 yards before collapsing, but that's it, it's still a killing shot.

I don't agree with you either.  I believe he's bowhunting not gun hunting and they are two completely different situations.
  Deer shot with a bow and arrow rely totally on blood loss unless hit in the spine which is not recommended.  Striking the paunch is not recommended either but happens,  but the deer is recoverable if you don't push it. 
  I'm sure he ment to make "a killing shot", unfortunately that didn't happen but he still is bound but hunter ethics to try and recover the deer which is what he is asking help with.
   30 minutes is good for heart or lung but everything else needs time.  8 hours on paunch.  Good luck.

CB

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:33 pm

HEY NOW! That's a good idea! But we can also improve on it.....

If you're hunting in an area that has APR's (remember that from the lesson from a few days ago? [:D] ), you can attach the GPS RIGHT ON THE DEER when you go and measure his rack first to make sure the numbers add up for the ego....OOPS! I mean HERD management program!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Well in this case We will have to reword this APR to "Another Possible Remover"[:D]
ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

HEY NOW! That's a good idea! But we can also improve on it.....

If you're hunting in an area that has APR's (remember that from the lesson from a few days ago? [:D] ), you can attach the GPS RIGHT ON THE DEER when you go and measure his rack first to make sure the numbers add up for the ego....OOPS! I mean HERD management program!

Huntingdad

Postby Huntingdad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:12 am

Old thread and very funny. I have thought about that mono on the arrow thing before on hogs. But I would not at all be surprised if you dont see a tracking nock soon. I am sure they have them small enough to fit in like a luminok set up. Off course no help on a pass threw but hey it would be cool.

Previous

Return to Blood Trailing