Would you take this shot?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Deebz

RE: Would you take this shot?

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:26 am

Hey Charlie... my cousin once shot a deer (his first buck) through both back knees.  he was on the ground shooting at his first nice buck, so i'm guessing buck fever was the culprit.  The arrow pased through the first knee cleanly and absolutely destroyed the other knee.  myself, my 2 brothers and my dad all showed up to help him track it...  we tracked that deer for roughly 5-6 miles up and down ravines.  there was very little blood to follow, we mostly spread out looking for places where the deer's hooves had slipped.  After about 3 or 4 hours, we finally jumped it up in front of us and he got another arrow in it to finish it off...  This deer was broadside when he released the arrow...  it comes down to making the decision at the moment a shot presents itself... I've never shot at a deer more than 20 yards away, even though i am confident in my abilities out to 40.  not because i think 40 is unethical, i've just never felt that a 40 yard shot was the right one to take at the time... this does not mean i won't someday shoot a deer farther out, or one walking straight away... if i feel that it is the right shot to take.

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:53 am

JPH you are a wise man and we should all respect that. As I said above I wouldn't take the staightaway shot. Hard to find any literature that teached bowhunters to take that one.  No ill will intended, but I personally don't like seeing posts like these because I think they give "confidence" to people who don't have it.   

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:53 am

also... looking at charlie's pic, you probably hit an artery... my brother once shot a doe and clipped a branch... the arrow hit high in the back quarter, the deer only went about 40 yds before she piled up...  huge blood trail

fave

Postby fave » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:34 pm

ORIGINAL: Proline

JPH you are a wise man and we should all respect that. As I said above I wouldn't take the staightaway shot. Hard to find any literature that teached bowhunters to take that one.  No ill will intended, but I personally don't like seeing posts like these because I think they give "confidence" to people who don't have it.

I agree with the false sense of security that might be given here. Practice practice practice makes the talked about shot a chip shot. That and obviously the distance and the angle of the arrow and height of the tree stand and seasoned capabilty of the hunter etc etc. If a hunter practices this shot from an elavated stand like position and is familiar with his shot placement as it relates to all the variables of the situation including high confidence, then the shot can be accomplished with a high degree of success on a regular basis. Unfortunately, too many hunters confuse their own eragance with the necessary skill to pull off the shot. We need to come to grips with our own capability and make a sound decision that allows us to sleep at night once the decision is made. In my early years of hunting I did not always make that sound decision. Now I think that my acquired knowledge has formed some sort of wisdom, however small, that allows me to do better in the woods. I truly hope that with all the information that is available to our young and up-coming hunters that they have the wherewithall to make sound decisions, practice good ethics and turn into hunters that we can all be proud of. Not like me who learned the hard way with too many sleepless nights. Take care. 

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:55 am

I have seen bad shots on broad side deer all the time, it's not about the position of the deer it's about being able to hit where you are aiming.

There is no blanket answer that covers everyone, it is a personal decision and responsibility.

I find personally I have messed up more on 15-20 yard easy broad side shots than the tough angle shots, I feel that I concentrate harder for the tough shots. That is a bad habit for me, I shoot a lot and feel broadside under 30 yards is meat in the cooler, I need to focus just as hard on the easy shots is what I have learned, personally.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:57 am

ORIGINAL: SwampLife

...it's not about the position of the deer it's about being able to hit where you are aiming.

I have to respectfully disagree. There are positions in which the vital area of a deer is so well protected that taking a shot is a cruel risk of wounding the animal.

Look, I certainly don't want to be placed in the position of judgement over all archery shots. I agree that it is a personal choice and something the hunter has to live with. I have taken too many shots that I regret to be the judge of someone else. But for the sake of other hunters with less experience I feel moved to offer another voice on the matter.

So to each his/her own, within the limits of the law. But kids, be careful what you try at home. You may look back with regret someday.

Previous

Return to Best Practices