If Hunting is a Religion, Then Hunters are Hindus

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Deebz

RE: If Hunting is a Religion, Then Hunters are Hindus

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:16 am

I've found that most non hunters get really turned off when i try to convince them that they should hunt... much the same as non believers immediately take offense when a person tries to tell them they should believe.  

Anytime i try to spread the "message" of hunting, i try to focus on telling people why I hunt and point out all the things about it that bring me joy.  I also try to show off as many pics as i can, and people are often surprised by how delicious meals at my place are if they don't know they are eating venison.  This way, they don't feel like i'm telling them what they should do. Instead, they get to experience the lifestyle vicariously through me... which hopefully will pique their interest enough to pick up a bow or shotgun or rifle or whatever they may choose to attempt hunting.

Patriot

RE: If Hunting is a Religion, Then Hunters are Hindus

Postby Patriot » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:38 am

One issue is new adult hunters will want a place to hunt....or someone to go with them.

I barely have time to hunt myself.  Now my wife and kids are hunting.  And my close blood brothers hunt with me too.

As much as I'd like to, I simply would not have time to show a new person the ropes.....but I do what I can. 

I did have an adult friend (new hunter) that called me from the woods last year.  He'd just shot the second deer of his life.  He's like..."now what do I do"?  I walked him through the gutting process over the phone then he brought it over and I showed him the entire butchering process. 
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Previous

Return to Best Practices