Getting close

Joel Spring

RE: Getting close

Postby Joel Spring » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:55 am

Nice job.  Looks like a good shot.

Holding my breath, waiting for Saturday morning here in Niagara County.   Taking my nephew out for the first time to a small thicket with a ton of good deer sign.   I have a good feeling.

Good luck with the rest of the season.
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:35 am

Mr. B said this morning " and how many times did you get up?" as he's leaving 2 hours late for work...looks like I'm moving to the computer room for a while[:o]...lol I'm exhausted and the season hasn't started yet....dumb thing is ...last night my dreams were of bow hunting coyotes!!??[8|]...I dreamed my bow broke during practice on Friday...arrows going through my wrist...Thanks for that visual....I packed my gear over and over...but not one dream of deer

So I'm about to go shoot one more time before Saturday....get my stuff out of the dryer and pack it ...fill my fanny pack descent my Quiver...set my hunting arrows ....I have my harness ready and hanging out side.....

I haven't seen a deer in the fields for a couple of days ...but have heard all the 4 wheelers "quietly" moving through adjacent properties...lol makes me laugh....now I don't have to listen to crows and grackles flying through the beech trees on our place[8|]...

Sign is great both here and at Camp...so it should be a good year...my confidence is so good with the new Peep Eliminator....yesterdays practice had me dropping them 1 in apart in the heart zone at 35 yrds....at twenty five I ended up pulling out big pieces of my HD deer target center line  behind the shoulder....My tree stand practice was just as good...did a lot of sitting shots..
Well All you ppl have a great and a safe season and Congrats to those that have tagged and Good Luck to all others 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:25 am

Hhmmm...I just got back from practicing ...in the rain...and I have to say....LISTEN to your dreams!!....checked my arrows and broad heads and shot ...Wow...my bow sounded like a loose muffler on a idling car[>:]....got out the allen wenches and started tightening....My bows an older Hoyt and not split limb but it has a bolt were it splits to hold the cams....the top bolt was way loose....I would have thought I'd hear that earlier[&o]...Well every thing good and tight...noise is gone...so still shooting and on my last round I go to pull one of my carbons out after a 30yrd shot and out comes just the shaft...no broad head or insert....look and the end of the shaft had a 3 in split in it....count my self lucky that I'd been checking after every shot and it must have happened on impact...I can say ...I will not practice on Friday[;)]

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:48 am

Reeper, msbadger - Your talking about watertown in NY, I am missing my first hunt in Diane in 4 years there. The rest of the guys headed out this morning. They hang out at the Harrisville rod & gun. Is that where you are from?

Andy
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:30 pm

Good luck to everyone that will be out hunting on sat!!

hunts2long

Postby hunts2long » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:45 am

One more wake up and I am ready to go...shot ML few times yesterday...weather here for Sat does not look good (rain and high winds), will have to see what it is like in the AM..I am retired so have lot of time.....hunts2long

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:17 am

Woodsalta - I am from Norwood and hunt in Stockholm (neat Potsdam).

Joel Spring- Thank you., best of luck taking your nephew out!

I was fortunate enough to take another doe a few days ago with my bow. She dressed out at 93lbs. Muzzleloader opened here this morning and I have one tag left before rifle season.

Best of luck to everyone who went out! any success!??!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Woodsalta...He worked and lived up by Fort drum...when they put in all that housing ...back 24 yrs ago...The kids and I would go visit when he couldn't get home.....pretty area up there

Reeper Congrats....I had close calls but of the fawn type and dark when getting out of the new blind....I have cell pics of the fawns coming in and bedding under the 6ft high box blind.....they finally left and as I turn and step onto top rung ...I look and 5 doe are watching me...wait until I can't see them and half way down the ladder to my left a couple of hundred feet are 2 doe and 3 buck ...2 are the bigger ones...get to ground...and have to leave...deer running but no snorting every where[:D]...Looks like I picked a good place to put the blind and what a joy to hunt out of...building a few more...starting with platforms this winter....So many ppl driving around in the woods for the last week....looks like they've gone nocturnal all ready...haven't even seen them feeding after the storms and the woods are full of snorting at dawn and dusk...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:52 am

Just got in...have to mow trails and clean hay barn....I left at 5:15 and walked the road to get to stand ....on the edge of our woods I heard a deer running parallel to me...my boots were ticking on the pavement ....I get to the drive of place next door and out pops the deer and stops dead at about 10 feet...I can't see a thing but  a dark blob ...It snorted and turned and I immediately snorted back ...all went quiet ...I heard it huff and I snorted once more and continued on my way...a moment or two later I here tic....tic...and thought hhhmm it decided to cross after all....tic.... tic tic tic....Well I'm not so pleased with my self anymore...it's following me!...I'm thinking total scent free...and I'm too old for any of that others non sense........I stop and qiuetly said Hey..scoot!....lol...I heard a scramble of feet on pavement and heard it running through the woods....on the rest of the way in there were distant snorting in all my neighbors woods... and up on ours where the new  guy has a stand bordering us...which explains why all the deer I saw at 7am were...trotting past and checking there back trail....4 doe and 5 fawn in total this morning ...one doe in range but just to spooky to take a shot...last years fawn besides... 

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:03 pm

msbadger,

You better be careful, we don't need you getting run over by any more deer[;)][:D]

Sounds like you built your blind in a good spot, best of luck in it!!!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

PreviousNext

Return to New York