Does anybody hunt deer in South Carolina?

ripper7

Does anybody hunt deer in South Carolina?

Postby ripper7 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:25 am

In my search to become a better hunter I ran across this sight and have picked up oodles of good ideas that I will put to use this year. I was pleasantly surprised to see a section for SC deer. To my disappointment it seems that it is not as well used as some other states (IE Wisconsin). What is up with that? So I guess I will break some thick ice.

I am  looking to hunt on wma land in Union . Could not afford the lease on the one that I had for the last two years. Went out scouting this summer and I hope I have found some interesting spots. The bad part about the switch to wma land is that I was just beginning to figure out  how the deer on the lease land moved now it is to square one. To speed up the learning curve I bought Mapping Trophy Bucks picked up a few ideas on how to look at things. Gun season starts soon . I am in my prelaunch countdown. Today task clean out the car and see how all the gear is going to get in the car

1Morgan

RE: Does anybody hunt deer in South Carolina?

Postby 1Morgan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:20 am

There are a few of us on here. I'm not sure how the upstate WMAs are but they can fill up with orange quickly down here. Just because you don't see any sign of humans doesn't mean they won"t be there on opening day!!
South Carolina Low Country

Gutrunner

Postby Gutrunner » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:17 am

I have hunted WMA since the 70's with success. My advice would be to have several places scouted before opening day. The hunting pressure will be high until it gets cold and weeds out the "fair weather" hunters. Until license fees went up you could find WMA all over the upstate.
If you can find a place to hunt that is thick and off the beaten path, you can be successful. Avoid places with heavily used pull-offs and well used trails because those hunters will be back this year.
Before I forget, be courteous and don't be suprised to have a flashlight come on as you enter the woods at your first hotspot. With that in mind get there early and hunt high. Best of luck!!!

PS: two bow kills ( 6 and 3 pt), 1 muzzleoader kill ( 6 pt) this year.
I am just a simple caveman. I am not accustomed to your sophisticated ways.

ripper7

Postby ripper7 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:10 am

THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I WAS TALKING TO A FRIEND AND HE GAVE ME THIS TIP. START A LITTLE BIT LATE FIND WHERE THE CARS ARE PARKED AND HEAD FOR SOMEPLACE ELSE AND STAY A LITTLE LATE

chef_joe00

Postby chef_joe00 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:34 pm

this is my first post on any forum so bare with me...i hunt the upstate in pickens county and much like ripper lost the land i have been hunting for almost 15 years. so I thought with the change i would change my whole outlook. I bought a bow and starting scouting wma land. There is lots of wma land in pickens county but it is archery only so i had never been intrested in it. I hope to learn a lot through this forum because as yall know im sure any small detail could make all the difference. and there is not a lot of talk out there for hunters in our area.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:37 am

You guys should look at SC Outdoor News as well.
http://scoutdoornews.com/forum/

chef_joe00

Postby chef_joe00 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:20 pm

so the season opens on my wma tomorrow and i plan on sitting on stand all day with this cold front and the half moon....do yall feel it is to early for light rattling and grunting .....or to aggressive for the southern rut?

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:41 pm

From everything I've seen and heard from other hunters...let it rip...'tis the season for us!!! Wait for a big 'un, the lttle ones will show first, just wait a little bit...

ripper7

Postby ripper7 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:00 pm

I WAS ABLE TO GET OUT WEDNESDAY IN THE COOL OF THE MORNING AND WAS IN MY STAND FOR ABOUT 40 MIN WHEN  A DEER WALKED IN ON ME. I WAS ABLE TO MAKE A GOOD CLEAN KILL. SPENT ABOUT 4 MORE HOURS ON THE STAND AND SAW NO FURTHER ACTIVITY , MOVED TO A NEW LOCATION IN THE AFTERNOON /EVENING AND SAW A BUNCH OF SQUIRRELS

chef_joe00

Postby chef_joe00 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:05 pm

I hunted opening day (oct 15th) all day and i mean all day i can down for 2 hours from 12 to 2 to eat and catch a cat nap. I saw nothing. It was so windy. Anyway i will be in the woods all day again tomorrow in the same stand. i did rattle and grunt a lil on friday but i dont think anything could have pulled them of the bed in that wind

Next

Return to South Carolina