2010 Season Roll Call

DeanoZ

RE: 2010 Season Roll Call

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Hey CnG, was wondering when you would chime in!  Congrats on your EAB, your on the board!  I know what you mean about life getting in the way...that seems to have been part of my issue thus far.  With the baby, increased workload, and the weather, my opportunities just have not panned out.  Since the 9/11 early season opener I've been on stand twice and only had one encounter.  The winds and weather have not been panning out for the spots I want to hunt so that has not helped either.  I've also taken a different approach this year and am ratcheting down my hunting opportunities.  At one point late last season it stopped becoming fun because I was on a mission to tag a deer...any deer...I put a lot of hours in last year and it came down to the last hour of the last hunt of the season.  So this year, if I'm too tired, if I'm not feeling it...I'm not going to go out or force a hunt due to bad winds.  We'll see how successful i am but I passed on a lot of early season opportunties last year because I was holding out for a shooter...this year, the first good opportunity that comes by...buck (6 pt or better) or doe...its going down.  We definately still need to meet up with the rest of the crew and for me Thursday nights work the best..let me know what your schedule looks like...I can change to accommodate if need be.  Good luck on Saturday and keep us posted.

Rayning Blood

Postby Rayning Blood » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:45 am

Whats up everybody...finally got stands up in ram.park....soxfan and i basically same area as last yr...i can say that the reign broadheads are certainly effective,as i watched soxfan rip a doe and drop it in its tracks...all i needed was popcorn an jujubees and it would have been perfect..as far as it not being fun Deano at end of last year,screw it and pop the first one that walks by that doesnt still have spots..here in jersey theyre all shooters...nothin puts the fun back like drillin one,right soxfan?Anyway,good luck to everybody

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Hey guys...we must of missed each other..i was there all day..and if soxfan popped a doe there he was probably the only one.  Morning hunt was a bust for me until about 9:30 am when 3 does came screaming by my stand, obviously something had spooked them..was hoping maybe it was a buck being honery early in the season...then I see movement and its another hunter traipsing around looking like he was following a blood trail..we finally made eye contact and I point him in the direction the 3 does took off in...right after that I hear a snort...and I'm thinking damn it was a buck and he must of winded me...well nope it was bambi..she came right by, stopped 15 yards, perfect quartering away shot, but i couldn't do it, she was just a babe..and yeah i know their good eating, but just didn't have the heart.  anyway, those two guys continued walking around looking for their deer and never found it, but that ended my morning set.  Afternoon, was a total bust...did not see a damn thing...not sure what was going on that day, but I suspect all the cross country runners and commotion across the street had something to do with it.  When I spoke to the Park Ranger in the lot he said no one had seen anything, let alone shot one...of course he probably did not stick around to see Soxfan work his magic...way to go bud!  I'll be back in there at one point this week once it stops raining.  Keep me posted the next time you guys head in...would really like to meet up with you!

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:52 am

No Deano you didnt miss us saturday. My son had soccer and it was right in the middle of the day and didnt leave me any time in morning or evening to go. I wasnt too upset though, and hearing what happened to you confirmed my thoughts. Rayningblood and I saw alot of hunters walking all over looking for spots to put up thier stands, so I didnt think people would see too many deer there saturday. This rain sucks, I like to get out during the week and it looks like I may have to wait till saturday again. I will let you know as soon as I know when I or we will be out. Good luck. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:16 am

Well glad I did not miss you guys and yes, we'll definitely hook up for a hunt soon.  I was back in the park this morning and driving in I damn near hit a doe...they were definitely out and moving this morning...just not in the park!![:@]  I decided to stay on the western edge of the park in the strip of woods that runs along the road.  Figured surely they would be coming from across the street.  Unfortunately, nothing came by...not so much as a peep in the woods this morning.  Guys that place is changing, I'm convinced.  Now that anyone can park in those lots they are getting a lot of runners and bikers...not so much in the mornings, but definitely the afternoon early evenings and I suspect that is altering the deer movement patterns.  Oh and dogs too, must of seen 3 separate piles of dog crap on the trail...almost stepped in it!  May have to go in deeper next time or check out the south side.

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:27 am

anybody do anything this weekend? Rayningblood and I were out(not in raminessin) but didnt see anything. We will be at raminessin monday evening for our first hunt there. Dont expect too much but a doe would be nice. Deano you are totaly right. The day they took the gates done so we could put up our stands the deer said "oh no that time again." Thats why we havent gone there, hopefully there wont be too much traffic monday morn and we can slip in and see something that isnt running from someone. Anyway it will be a good day out. I will be there wednesday evening and maybe Thursday eve, let me know if you can make it out. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Soxfan, I was out Sat morn, but got invited to hunt my friends backyard which butts up against the back side of Earle NWS in Monmouth Cty. I busted does at the corner edge of the field and saw nothing the rest of the morning. Tomorrow I'm hunting the afternoon, not sure how its going to pan out since it will be warm but I'm going to go to the first spot I was at on the WMA in flemington and hope that same set of does passes by before sundown. I think your right to hunt Raminessen in the mornings...there are no joggers, dog walkers, bicyclers going down the trails at that time of day so your apt to see more..even though i didn't last Thursday my sense is they are closer to the river. I may join you next Thursday afternoon...I'll let you know later in the week. Good luck tomorrow morning!

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:00 am

Anybody do anything this past week? Rayningblood and I finally made it out to the park last week. Saw some does, actually had one at 32 yards but was a yearling. Hopefully mom or dad will visit me next time. DeanoZ, Rayningblood and I will be out Monday evening if you can make it. I will also be out Thursday evening, hopefully with Rayningblood but if he cant make it I will still be there. Let me know if you can go. good luck all.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:16 am

Soxfan, I was out yesterday on scout/hunt mission in the Flemington WMA. I was originally going to try and meet up with you guys , but I knew it was going to rain in the afternoon so figured te morning would be my better option. Also had to get the bow worked on...its not tuning correctly and driving me nuts so I brought it to another dealer in Washington. Figured before I did that might as well combine my scouting with a still hunt. I managed to get within 30 yards of a doe before she busted me...and to be honest it was a half assed still hunt..i was more interested in scotuing these 3 spots I've had my eye on..and in all 3 of the 3 I ran into deer, just was not able to get a shot off...but I know where to go now in that area. My bow won't be ready for Monday, but next Thursday I am game for a hunt in the evening..let me know where and what time you guys plan on getting there and we'll meet up...good luck if you go out this weekend as well as on Monday. Oh and the pre rut is definately on...all last weekend and into this week the roads have been littered with bucks and does hit by cars...1st mature does should be coming into estrous right now so rattle and put the doe stink/drag lines out!

soxfan

Postby soxfan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:33 am

Sorry I didnt get back to ya DeanoZ. Rayningblood and I have had deer around us every time we have gone out in Monroe, so its been hard to go to Raminessin. I will probably be there Monday evening and depending on the weather Thursday too. GL and see ya soon.

PreviousNext

Return to New Jersey