Help on scope for my 270

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
GTOHunter

RE: Help on scope for my 270

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:24 am

My recomendation for a good reliable scope is a Leupold Rifleman 3 X 9 X 40mm scope in matte black with millet rings and base.The clarity of the Leupold can't be beat and it draws in a lot of light during the early morning and late evenings.They usually run around $229.00 but I have seen them on sale for around $179.99.Don't skimp on a cheap scope for your gun,I have used other low-cost scopes and then have poor visability in low-light and even have fogged up on me so put a good reliable scope on your Rifle.If I'm hunting in a heavy timbered area I turned the scope down in case I have a close shot opportunity at a Deer,then if I hunt on a field edge or open field I can turn it up for further shots and its simple and easy to use!  

mountainmansb

Postby mountainmansb » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:14 am

The way I see it is, why limit your 270. Go with the 3x9, 3 power for closeup  wood areas and 9 for long range like 300 plus yrds. A good rule of thumb is what ever you spend on your rifle spend on a good scope. For 150.00 your not going to get much and your not really going to be happy with it. You can get a really good nikon monarch for a few hundred or better yet go with a zeiss 3x9 conquest and you'll be glad you did. All of my scopes are zeiss and I own alot of them. My 3x9's are first rate, at 150yrds I can see the little hairs hanging off a deers chin and can see the differance between the black and gray hairs on the body with no problem. Low light conditions their first rate also. Zeiss bottom of the line scopes (conquest) optics are better the 90% of leupolds( which I think are about 40% over priced) and the 3x9 conquest runs about 399.00. I've tryed all kinds of scopes and got my butt burned as well. For the cheaper end nikon monarch is hard to beat, as good as leupold and alot cheaper, and zeiss is first rate in optics and CAN'T be beat for the money, plus they have a 4" eyerelief so you won't get smacked in the face on an uphill shot or low on the bench and they have a lifetime transferable warranty to the next owneras well as shockproof and waterproof the whole nine yards. It's your call, but I KNOW you'll be happy with the zeiss conquest 3x9 and money well spent. 
sid butcher

fr0sty

Postby fr0sty » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:12 pm

I have a nikon pro hunter 3x9x40 on my .270 and am happy with it.

SCHINK

Postby SCHINK » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:13 am

thanks for the input guys.......even though it wasn't my post....I just went to a club banquet Saturday night and WON a Remington 7600  270 pump.........and was going to sell it until I got home and checked it out.....now I'm thinking of scoping it up and using it.....
HAPPINESS IS A BLOODY TAILGATE

mnslayer

Postby mnslayer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:36 am

SCHINK
I shoot a 7600 in the 270win its a great gun. longest shot taken with it has been 350 yrds, can regularly take a 175yrd shot with moderate brush cover has never failed to anchor the deer in the spot. will choose this over my 30-06, 7mm mag or 30/30 extremely accurate and easy to handle shooting winchester 130 grain power points can cover my pattern with a quarter at 100yrds. keep it you soon will love it.

SCHINK

Postby SCHINK » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:31 am

thanks for the input mnslayer....I think I am at least going to hang on to it for a while.......I shoot a Remington 30.06 semi right now......and the gun has never been a tack driver.....but it seems to hit the mark on deer just fine.....BUT who knows.......I might become a 270 man myself

Cgull

Postby Cgull » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:42 pm

wow nice luck there Schink!! If you're still looking for a decent scope for 150 look at Academy Sports. They are selling the Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 with Raingaurd for the 150 price. Not a bad scope at all for that price. I have leupolds on most of my rifles but at that price I had to get one. Now it's my go to bad weather gun and scope because of the Raingaurd.
we should insist the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn`t an American at all

SCHINK

Postby SCHINK » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:17 am

thanks Cgull......now that's not a bad idea....I just might have to look into that.....I also am a leupold scope man myself.....I even have one on my slug gun and it's sweet

CoG

Postby CoG » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 pm

I love fixed power scopes, especially for deer hunting.  Lighter, less moving parts, relative reticle distances fixed, simple, and they just scream rugged to me.  Personally, I don't think you need more than 4x for shots at deer under 300 yards.  Don't make this more difficult than it is, I now fit just the optic needed to get the job done on a rifle and no more.

I have a pet 30-06 I do most of my rifle hunting with.  It is topped with a 3x9-40mm and would not be considered a tack driver.  The scope is on 4x and I rarely move it.  I wish it was a fixed 4x.  I can say this because I took at doe at the max range I have established for this gun and did so on 4x, never considered cranking it higher.  The range was a bit over 250 yards.  No trouble knowing the crosshairs are on my target at that distance at that power.  I now want to simplify the rifle with a fixed power 4.  No need for the variability.

With the accuracy you need to shoot to kill deer the high magnifications are not needed.  It doesn't help.  It will, however, amplify your wobbles and nerves and make you feel less confident.  It really doesn't change how precise you can be.  Learn your gun on one magnification and build that familiarity and confidence. 

My muzzleloader has a fixed 2.5x that I love.

I'm building a longer range deer rifle, a .270.  It will get a fixed 6x. 

The best advice has already been given.  Whatever you do, get the best quality you can.  My suggestion is just enough power to fit the rifle.  Get the higher magnification in the spotting scopes and binoculars.  That's what those are made for!  Scopes are just for delivering a bullet into the kill zone.
-Benny

DeerTracker

Postby DeerTracker » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:17 am

Hard to beat a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40(around $210) or a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 (around $150) Ive got a Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 on my 300WSM, a buckmaster 3-9x40 on a Ruger Hawkeye 270 that my girlfriend uses, and a Prostaff 3-9x40 on my 243. I love them all. The prostaff is probably the best buy between the two. The prostaff transmits 92% of light vs. 95% on the buckmasters and Monarchs. So you wont be gaining a whole lot in the clarity department. I say go with a Prostaff and never look back.
Good things come to those who shoot straight
--Escanaba In Da Moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Ammo