What's this buck doing?

Tracks, Rubs, Scrapes, Trails, Etc.
charlie 01

RE: What's this buck doing?

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Pic of buck doing the deed that I said I would post.

never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Woops, wrong buck. This is right one.

never say never

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:22 am

ORIGINAL: charlie 01

Woops, wrong buck. This is right one.

I think he's attempting a crash test into that tree.[;)]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:41 am

He's peeing into his scrape to mark territory.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:45 am

Either that, or he's dropping the cosby kids off at the playground.[:D][:D]
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:45 pm

No, there was no scrape there. Never was. I hunt it quite often. Saw one do this in an open field once.
never say never

jrnemn1

Postby jrnemn1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:44 pm

i thought he was masterbating to.i knew that because i stand the same way when i'm, nevermind.

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Carlie 01,
Hi...I should apoligize first for a long absense from this site. I was shocked actually that this thread had survived even.
I live just west of Newaygo on the mighty Muskegon river and know the Whitecloud area well. I cut my teeth hunting deer north of there around the Big Jackson school area (12 mile and Oak) during the early 70's and it was common to see 200 deer a day, even during bow season! Those days are long gone now thanks to baiting and deer killing slobs.
I was glad to hear that others had witnessed this behaviour from mature whitetails and were willing to admit it. I know when I told others about it they thought I was crazy, but I knew what I was seeing. I spent years trying to analize and unravel this behavioural trait so that I might use it to my advantage during my whitetail pursuits. The only common denominator I did conclude over the years, is that the age structure of the bucks had the largest influence. When there were uncommonly large percentages of mature bucks roaming the area I saw this more frequently. Now this doesn't include farm land deer, but big woods bucks. I believe that deer forced to cover larger areas in hopes of intercepting receptive does rut more intensly than farmland deer. Never in my life, have I found scrapes the size of VW's and a foot deep on farmland, or bucks that responded to rattling or grunts with such aggression they ran over everything in there path full tilt intending to kill the intruder, scaring the life out of me at times. Anyone else notice this?
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:06 am

Was glad you brought this thread up. A lot of people have no idea this goes on.

The White Cloud area was a big learning experience for me. Spent all of my school vacations helping out on my grand parents farm that was on M-37, two miles north of W.C.. I had an Uncle that all he did was fish, hunt, and trap. Learned a great many things from from him. Used to fish the White River for Browns and brook trout. Used to float the Muskegon from Croton to Newago. Hunted snow shoes several miles north of W.C.. Great times. Wish my children could have had those experiences.

I'm sure you know what a "scrape" is, but was just wondering, something that large would seem to me to be a fight area. I found one, one year gun hunting. I think it was at a time somewhere in the 60's. It was kind of a circle, twenty ft. accross, and trampled with deer tracks to no end, down to soft earth in a fern covered area in big woods. But I wasn't there to see what you saw. I'm not being critical, just wondering.

Never was into rattling in those years. Did start grunt calling by mouth in the late 70's. That's a whole other great story and memory. Started rattling when hunting in Ill.. One year shot a Pope & Young buck early, then spent the rest of the season video taping rattled in deer. That was a learning experience in itself. I would go to different places, put up a stand and just rattle and video the bucks. I rattled in some 30 deer that year. Some came, as you said, running in, while others, I believe would fight with a tree or bush before they came into the rattle area. Some would even have leafy branches stuck in their antlers. These guys (bigger bucks) would take 15 to 20 min. to come in after I rattled. It was amazing how they could pinpoint the mock fight area. That lead me to wait 1/2 hr. between rattle sessions. There is a lot more I learned, no time to tell it all.    
never say never

prohunter

Postby prohunter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:31 pm

guys , that buck is peeing on his hock glands ,they dont allways make scrap after this,a little pee can go a long way, thats my two cents jim,
take your kids hunting and you wont have to hunt your kids.

PreviousNext

Return to All About Deer Sign