Opening w/e archery report

Sailfish

Opening w/e archery report

Postby Sailfish » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Saturday was a little chilly but managed to hang in there with light clothing until the sun roasted me out.
Saw a few doe in the am and had a hawk sit 10' over my head squawking like a banshee
Wind was maybe 1-2 Kt out of n
Somehow a doe came up behind me at about 30'.
No idea she was there
She just starts a Blowin and bounding away.
Maybe I moved not sure.
Had another doe cross 30yards to my right I didn't see her coming I heard her! I have never heard a doe grunt that socially before. Literally she grunted non stop from when I heard her at 100 yards til I saw her and even when she left.

In the evening I had an awesome time.
A lone doe came out and fed downwind of me for 2 minutes, left and came back another 2 minutes. 18 yards.

Then about 6ish +/- 3 does come outta nowhere upwind from me and literally walked under my stand, all 3 smelled my pull rope I had dangling for my bow, then walked 5 ' in front of me and they all smelled the tree I had been p'ing down.
None of them had a worry at all.
One of them did look right up at me, I looked at her and she was like "I know something is there, she backed out about 10 steps, but never snorted or stomped.
I could not get my camera out of my pocket in time for pics.

Sunday was a little slower in the am but still managed to see a couple does feeding on the acorns. Tonight though was very special. I moved my stand during the heat to a site about 100 yards in deeper near pines. I got set up and waited. I saw them sneaking through. Just 3 no 4 does, two were very nice. I kept watch, all sudden now there are 6! They just kept coming out of the pines all at about 50 yards. Then another but it was a spike buck , not the one I was hoping was trailing them. They circled around, went back in he pines and came out in front of me at less than 10 yards. All of them, then three walked under my stand. Even if the landowner would let me shoot doe I couldn't with 14 eyes on me. I kept hearing an8th deer under me to my left, I turned slowly and saw it. Armadillo ha. I tried to ease up in my seat to get ready in case a shooter came, but the lead doe saw me she blew and they were gone.
Thats when I saw something interesting. Bobcat! He was tailing the deer I watched him walk in their path for a brief moment.
Dark came and I saw the owl land approx 20 yards away. Who knew it was a screech owl? Bout made fall down my climber lol
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Gulfcapt

RE: Opening w/e archery report

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:48 am

Sailfish sounds like you had a eventful weekend, plenty to see... Im headed home tonight and plane on hitting the river tomorrow afternoon for my first hunt of the 10/11 season..

good luck!

Sailfish

RE: Opening w/e archery report

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 am

U2.
Try to best your avatar buck [:D]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Return to Florida