How is bow season going?

kevjack6

How is bow season going?

Postby kevjack6 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:23 am

Anybody out there bow hunting VT this year? Having any luck? What are you seeing for bucks? I saw 2 does and 2 fawns the opening day. 2nd evening I saw 11! Only 1 small buck and the rest were does and fawns.

vermont backstrap

RE: How is bow season going?

Postby vermont backstrap » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Howdy fellow Vermonter! So far so good, took a doe opening weekend that was with 9 others. Saw a nice 8 from a distance and I know there is a big 10 nearby so my hopes are up to get one of them with the 2nd tag...........good luck to you and everyone else.!!!

kevjack6

Postby kevjack6 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:40 am

Congrats on the doe! I've seen quite a few deer myself...16 the opening weekend. This past weekend wasn't so good...the apples really dropped hard so I think the deer are a little spread out. Unfortunately, I can only hunt on weekends :(

Where are you located?

vermont backstrap

Postby vermont backstrap » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:57 am

rutland county, here with the colder october than usual the deer have moved off apples for 2 weeks and pretty much are staying in the oaks!!! hope this rain kicks out of here before the morning hunt tomorrow,.......i myself am a weekend warrior as well!! do yo hunt anywhere else?

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:30 am

I've saw two the second day, don't know what they were. nothing since.
I haven't tried real hard either, sooooo.

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:41 pm

It just got better.

kevjack6

Postby kevjack6 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:51 am

I pretty much just hunt on my land in Albany. I have 106 acres there and I really don't have all that much time to travel anywhere unfortunately. Some day.....some day! Here the deer are really pounding the apples. We had some late frost up here so the apples are kind of spotty. We don't have any oaks in this area...some beechnuts from time to time.

No luck over the weekend...some does and fawns and that same small buck. The buck was starting to act a little rutty which is kind of early for here anyway. He came out of the woods birdogging a doe.

Any luck for you?

kevjack6

Postby kevjack6 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:52 am

Come on man....details!!! Weight? Story?? Nice buck, congrats!

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:58 am

Thanks kev. 8 point 148#. Last Saturday at very last light. Just hoping to wack a doe, let one with a fawn go by. Just about to put the quiver back on the bow when I looked to my right and saw him. I said "that's a legal buck". 18 yards hit him. He dropped right there, I thought I spined him so I knocked another one and put in an insurance shot. I did not need it. Hit him on the left side ended up in the right shoulder.
58# mathews Q32, carbon wolverine arrow, Rage 100 gr two blade. Rage worked awsome, and are in perfect shape. Thanks for asking, good luck to you. Nice to have some VT'ers on here.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Congrats to you VT backstrap. I'm going for a flat top now. I've never tagged out before.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

Next

Return to Vermont