How is bow season going?

vermont backstrap

RE: How is bow season going?

Postby vermont backstrap » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:14 pm

SUPER VERMONT BUCK!!! Congrats are certainly in order for you! Sounds like it happened in a second and was over before you knew it!!! ONly because I love to learn all I can, you said he dropped instantly, do you think he collasped because you broke his shoulder. Can't believe he dropped without hitting the spine. Also did you hear any grunting before you shot him......??? sounds like he snuck in on you and was just kind of following the does maybe checking out the local herd........I would love to see a buck like that in VT this year!

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:59 pm

I have no idea where he came from, except behind and to the right. A doe and fawn just went where he came from.
Like deer do he showed up where I'd least expect it. No grunting. It was fast maybe ten seconds form first sight to shot.
I was shocked to see where I hit him, I thought for sure it was in the spine. I didn't see any damage to the backbone on shoulder. The Rage was stuck in something I had to really work to get it out while gutting. If it did hit the shoulder it didn't break it, I noticed nothing when I boned it out. I would have to say God intervened, No way I did it on my own.
Not knowing where you are going is the best way to get
somewhere you've never been.

J. Peterman.

kevjack6

Postby kevjack6 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:32 am

Backtstrap, are you as depressed as I am on these nice frosty mornings sitting in my office when I would rather be out hunting???? Being a weekend warrior REALLY sucks sometimes!!

vermont backstrap

Postby vermont backstrap » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:33 am

Laughing pretty good now responding to this message as I sit here at my desk, dreaming of my stand, wondering if the 8 I am after is near there, then I read this message from you!!! No doubt we are in the same position!!! Only 2 more days to get him!!! good luck this weekend!

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:42 pm

My company blocks this web site, at least you can read about it at work. I still get the Drudge Report but no D+DH.
No vacation time? Or just can't take it at this time of year?

kevjack6

Postby kevjack6 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 am

Good luck to you as well. Looks like a pretty nice weekend ahead.

Zeek, I have some vacation time but it is tough for me to take it this time of year. I live close enough to the Canadian border that I hunt up there as well...their rifle season starts next weekend so I try to save some time for that as well as a few days for our rifle season...plus, the little lady does like me to spend a few of my vacation days with her, can you believe that?? :)

kevjack6

Postby kevjack6 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:04 am

Are you guys starting to see any rubbing/scraping? I saw a few rubs last weekend...I'm hoping to see a lot more this weekend.

ZEEK

Postby ZEEK » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Busy time of year for us, but I'm taking next week off to bow hunt in NY. Haven't taken a day off since March. (not counting weekends and hollidays). I've heard the bucks are getting real active, I haven't seen it personaly but that's what I heard.

vt_archer

Postby vt_archer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:30 am

Nothing here so far.. the neighbor got a doe, but the most of the apples are still on the ground, and only the partridge seem to be eating them.. not a lot of moving around

vermont backstrap

Postby vermont backstrap » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:23 am

Hey all! Well my bow season has come to a close, lots of doe activity around me but of course no bucks giving them any looks! Not sure about anyone else, but the buck activity regarding scrapes and hooking ususally is not seen around here until near peak rut time!!! brother in law hunting the finger lakes region in NY this weekend, scrapes and hookings all over the place with big bucks starting to chase, so that is a good sign for anyone starting to hunt out that way...........myself we head to ohio nov 11th for 10 days, then will catch the thanksgiving week back here in VT..........I hope by the time I check in again I will see some more picks of VT Bucks!!!! Zeek can't the only one to put a tag on some horns!!!!!1 later.........

PreviousNext

Return to Vermont